Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, December 6, 2010

Blizzard Run

Joy here...It's a new day, and I'm determined not to let SAD, the snow, the weather, or anything else impede my forward progress.  For the month of December the only "training" that I'm supposed to be doing is getting some runs in my legs.  I have to get a nice, easy, slow base of endurance, and then in the new year I can start building on that in preparation for the 30km race in March and the 21km race in May.  So this means that whether I feel like it or not, I really just have to push myself out the door and run.

Even if it's cold.

Even if it's snowy.

In fact, even if it's a blizzard as was the case on Sunday.  We started our run at around 4:00pm, and there was a light dusting of snow, but by about 4:25pm, the sun had set and the snow was falling in earnest.  Icy flakes were flying into my eyes, and it was like running on a cold, sandy beach.  Every step was a slog.  It was dark and cold and wind swirled the snow around us as if we were tiny figures in an upturned snow globe.

But as we ran into the ever-increasing darkness and the ever-increasing size and ferocity of the flakes, I began to feel better and better.  Don't get me wrong, there's nothing enjoyable about huffing and puffing in a snowstorm or running with your eyes squinted against flakes of frozen-ness, but I began to feel better on the inside.  I began to think "heck, if I can hack this, then I can run throughout this whole winter, and maybe, just maybe, I'll survive that 30km run in March."  And as I was having those sorts of encouraging thoughts, I was able to pull my feet through the piling and piling snow.

And in the end, I completed my first "long run" probably since the half marathon back in October!  Our new plan is to run 3 or 4 times a week, with only one of those being a "long run."  We figure we'll start our "long runs" at around 15kms and build up from there.  Yesterday, amid the snow, the cold, and the ice, we finished 14.92kms!  Yay!

Here are my run stats:
Ran for a total of 1:29:57 for a distance of 14.92kms with an average pace of 6:02min/km.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment