Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Friday, May 25, 2012

Women on Wheels (Loop #7)

Joy here...Since deciding that I'm not going to train for a full marathon this summer and, instead, spend a lot of time building on the cycling fitness that I started last summer with my many rides with my "sisterhood" of awesome cycling friends, I've never felt better.

I competed in my first-ever bike race just last week; then rode in my first-ever bunch "sportif" event on Sunday, followed by this week's successful time trial, where I found myself 1st in my age group.  On the heels of these events that have helped me build both competence and confidence on the bike, I decided to join a local group of women's cyclists who ride in Gatineau Park on Wednesday nights.

Women on Wheels at Champlain Lookout!
The sun low in the sky above the view
from Champlain Lookout!
There has been a lot of attention on women's cycling around here lately--as highlighted in this article here--and even though the UCI (the organizing body for professional cycling) hasn't quite caught on to the fact that women ride, women like riding, women are inspired by other women riders, young girls like looking up to women riders, and men like hot cycling chicks, both professional and amateur women riders are getting out there and having fun.  And it is in that spirit of fun that my cycling "sisters" and I get out there and ride, and in that same spirit that I joined up with the "Women on Wheels" group of female cyclists on Wednesday eve for a ride in the park.

Top speed on the ride (only 13km/hr over
the speed limit...don't tell the cops!)
It was good for me to learn how to ride in a bunch, and as we approached the Fortune Climb (which is the second big climb in the park after the Pink Lake climb, and I've written about my experiences up it a few times before, like this post here which was the first time up Fortune this spring) the woman who organizes the group said, "okay we're going to do drills!"  The first "drill" was for us all to put our bikes into their hardest gear (i.e. big ring on the front...as per my nickname, and small ring on the back) and ride our bikes standing up the climb.  This builds leg strength and is really hard to do.  Then we were supposed to put our bikes into our easiest gear and just spin, and trust me, while I usually climb up the hill in this easiest gear combination, it has never felt so easy as it did on that sunny Wednesday after grinding 2/3 of the way up the climb in the toughest combination!  After those drills, she had us pull up only using our hamstrings (not our more powerful thighs), and then, finally, we were able to finish the climb just riding regularly.

With all those drills to concentrate on, that climb went by faster than it ever has on any of my rides up it!

Then we reached the top, ate, took some pics, and started our rip-roaring descent down, with me topping speeds of 73km/hr!

Overall our average speed through the park was 27.8km/hr, and I, for one, enjoyed the ride, learned a lot, and look forward to joining those ladies again.

I only hope that they'll allow me to come!

Over and out,
Joy





No comments:

Post a Comment