Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Heart Rate: All Time High!

Joy here...While I've been hanging on to any leftover fitness by the merest skin of my teeth, I have at least been keeping up with my weekly spinning and strength training sessions.  And after spending four days running after my nephew (and picking up a few of his little kid germs), today I was back in my spinning class ready to work my butt off.

Today's ride was an "interval" ride, which means that our spinning instructor tried to kill us.  For our three intervals during the 60 minute ride, we had to try to force ourselves to ride so hard that we failed.  And while I never reached the failure point, at one moment I looked down at my heart rate monitor - my legs were screaming, full of lactic acid; my breathing was laboured; sweat was dripping off me onto the bike - and my heart rate topped 176 beats/min.  That's the highest I've ever seen it go, especially on a bike!


So today's spin class was a real triumph, even though I feel out of shape.  For the sake of comparison, here are the calories burned during my last few spinning classes:

Oct 6 - 369 calories burned
Oct 13 - 306 calories burned
Oct 22 - 367 calories burned
Oct 27 - 257 calories burned
Today - 590 calories burned


So obviously getting that heart rate through the roof really does burn those calories.  Now let's just hope that The Trainer takes pity on my this afternoon when we have our strength training session.  Somehow I doubt she will.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment