Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Running, what's that?

Joy here...Well, I had these great plans for my training throughout the fall that would include both running and cycling, that would work strength training in, and that would ultimately start laying the groundwork for my vague and undefined aspirations to become a triathlete.  Maybe, like Nomi who finished her first ever FULL MARATHON over the weekend, I, too, will be able to do a full marathon in the foreseeable future.



But then, somehow, my last run was October 5th when I did the "Run for the Cure," and it wasn't really a run per se, because it was at a nice, easy pace, the pace of an 8 year old!  So, in all honesty, my last runs were probably sometime in September.  And while the weather has turned cold, the fallen leaves have started to turn brown and crusty, and in the mornings our cars are painted with glittering frost, I dusted off my trusty vibrams and headed out the door for an afternoon run.


You see, Nomi and I started this running journey together.  We both decided to run our first ever running race last year, and then we both decided to run our first ever half marathon; after that, we ran a half marathon together in Singapore, and we were all set to run our first marathons.  But then, the marathon I was planning to run fell on the same weekend as my grandma's 90th birthday party; then, I spent much of my summer cycling instead of running; then, my running turned into an experiment with the barefoot running movement, not full on marathon training; and now, I find myself really, really, really proud of Nomi for finishing a marathon, but I'm also really jealous.  And that jealousy is giving me the kick in the pants that I guess I've needed lately - a kick in the pants to get me out the door and running.

So while I won't be running a half marathon or marathon anytime soon, since I've let my running fitness fade away from me, I know what it's like to start at the beginning and build up again.  Yesterday's run was that beginning.  I ran for 3kms; it wasn't painful; it was easy; and I could have kept on going.  But I didn't.  I know that I'll have to ease back into things with short, easy runs, and soon I'll be able to run with Nomi in Malaysia over the holidays.

Only I doubt I'll be keeping up with her.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment