Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Indoor Ride with Friends

Joy here...After my first real cross country skiing experience, which has given me a new lease on winter life and made me feel happy about the world in general, I was actually looking forward to Saturday's workout.  And while I wanted to get out the door for a run, by the time I had finished running errands and everything, it was going to get dark, so I figured an indoor trainer ride was in order for me.

Opie the Opus bike...all set up with the Power Tap for
indoor, winter rides.
Now usually, I'd rather crawl under the blankets and hide than ride in the basement, but with my new outlook based on some fun in the snow from Friday, I got myself all kitted up and even checked with the Trainer (she of the truth-talkin' pep talk of Thursday), and asked if she wanted to come on over and join us.  So The Man hopped on his trainer, The Trainer hopped on our spin bike, and I hopped on Opie on my own trainer.  The three of us were lined up in a tight little row, and we were able to watch the TV, chat, and generally enjoy our workout.

The Trainer rode with us for around 40 minutes before she had to take off to get ready for her Saturday night dinner plans, and I stayed on for another 20 minutes to get a full 60 minute ride in on the bike.  I kept my heart rate in the 130 beats/min range, but tried to make sure to keep my cadence high.

And how did I do that?

Well, in addition to my cadence sensor (which isn't really all that exact), we also had a cycling DVD on in front of us, and so I just rode along with Lance Armstrong.  There's not much more that's inspiring in this world than going for a little ride with Lance.  So I guess there were actually four of us down there in that basement:  The Man, The Trainer, me, and Lance!

Johann Bruyneel giving Lance some advice!
And now, waking up this morning with a slight burn in my thighs from the skiing and indoor ride, I'm all set to head out to practice those ski drills.  If only the sun would rise so that we can get out there.  I just can't wait...

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment