Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Plan: 1/2 marathon, marathon, and beyond!

Joy here...Okay, so last week and the week prior I was dealing with one heck of a cold.  I took a total of 10 days off working out, and now I feel like I'm starting from scratch.  But I wrote before that I shouldn't be discouraged when I feel like my fitness is fading and I'm regressing back to zero, because the truth of the matter is that the valleys in my fitness are never quite as low or deep as I think they are.  I just need to remember that when I was 30 years old and I started running, a nine minute run was all I could pull off, and now I'm 35 years old, and I can pull off a 10km run even after taking 10 days off working out.

So when I feel depressed that I'm not anywhere near where I'd like to be in terms of distance or speed for my upcoming 1/2 marathon at the end of May, I just need to remember that adage that every journey begins with the first step.

And I'm taking that first step now.

And that first step is a plan.

I sat down with The Man, the Daniels' Running Formula,* and a calendar and worked out a plan beginning next week (the first week in March) to get me comfortably to my next 1/2 marathon.

Then we went out to the local fitness shop and bought more supplies:  a weight vest, a bosu ball, and a scale.  We've added these little tools to our arsenal in the hopes that they can help us with our fitness goals, because beyond this next 1/2 marathon, I have my sights set on an October marathon.  I may have had to shelve those goals last year, but I'm not going to do that again.

So with the can-do attitude engendered by a plan and a positive attitude (and reduced coughing!!!), I got on the bike on Saturday after my double-double Thursday work out (a spin class and a strength training session), and rode indoors for 60 minutes.

I didn't hold a high speed (avg around 26km/hr), and it felt rather tough on that bike, but something is better than nothing, and as I've said before, I just have to remember a couple of key mantras:

Onwards!
and
Just keep going!

So with that in mind, I've got a plan, and now I just have to follow it!

Over and out,
Joy

*I've used the Daniels' Running Formula book before, when I was training for my first 1/2 marathon.  I've now created a plan for my next 1/2 marathon and the subsequent full marathon based on some of the principles in this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment