Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Sunday, February 5, 2012

What to Wear in Winter?

All set and ready to go for a winter run!
Joy here...Friends of ours who live in Malaysia have a trip to Japan coming up.  They are going with family, and they're going to do some Alpine Skiing.  Now, if you live in the tropics, there's a damn good chance that you don't have any winter gear for a ski trip.  It's quite different than for those of us who live in countries that have significant winters, but which ALSO have summer.  For instance, because Canadian summers are just as hot as Malaysian ones, when I'm getting ready for a trip to Malaysia, I just throw some of my summer clothes in a suitcase, and presto! I'm good and ready to go.  Not so much for our Malaysian friends and their upcoming trip to the ski hills.  So I've been hitting the stores around here and picking up ski wear for them to mail to them in Malaysia so that they'll be snugly warm on those Japanese ski slopes.

It's also gotten me thinking about what to wear while running in the winter.  For instance, today I went out for an easy 7km run along the canal with a friend, and I wore running gear that kept me comfortable in the -8C temperature.  Here's what I wore:

Look at all the selection of winter wear on sale in Canada!!!!
-pair of Icebreaker Merino Wool socks
-winter weight running tights from Mountain Equipment Co-op
-Columbia sports bra
-Icebreaker Merino Wool base layer
-Sugoi arm warmers
-my "Around the Bay" long-sleeve shirt
-Mizuno shell vest
-Nike running gloves and hat
-Rapha neck warmer
-New Balance Minimus trail running shoes

It's taken me quite a while to figure out what's the right combination of layers and breathability for doing sport in the winter, and I'm still never 100% sure that I'v got it right or not; sometimes I'll be out there on a run and be just too cold to keep on going, and other times I'll find myself unzipping and shedding layers as I go along.

And now I happily can offer this hard-earned expertise to our friends who will be enjoying some fun and snow in Japan next month, dressed in layers and outer wear bought specially for them by a Canadian...a Canadian who has learned how to do winter well!

Over and out,
Joy - the Canadian Winter Personal Shopper


No comments:

Post a Comment