Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dear Spring, Thank you!

Joy here...I know that spring can be a fickle season, teasing you with warm breezes, flower buds, and chirping birds one day only to beat you down with howling winds, frozen ice, and falling snow the next.  I remember last year when it snowed in April a week after the temperature was around +16C.  And I know that when I ran my 30km "Around the Bay" race at the end of March last year it was -10C at the start line.  So even though the wind howled all weekend and I ran a winter run yesterday, I know that I can't get too excited about the long term potential of today's beautiful weather.  I suppose I am what you might call cautiously optimistic at the moment, too wary of thinking that the spring-like weather might really be here to stay.  It is, after all, only March 7th.

Today's temperature!
However, what a March 7th it is!  I could feel the sun beaming through my windows this morning, and as I opened the front door, I actually felt warmth from the outside for the first time in months.  And as I had about a million and one errands to run throughout the day, I did them all with a spring to my step and a smile on my lips that only nice weather can bring.

And so by the end of the day when I laced up my running shoes and put on my running tights (the 3/4 length ones that I haven't worn outside since the fall sometime), I couldn't have been happier.  The weather was warm and the world outside my door was filled with spring runners invigorated by the lovely weather, even if it doesn't stay.

Early evening settling on the spring city.
And as I ran, I found myself running against a headwind for a good, long stretch of my regular loop.  But instead of feeling beaten and broken by the elements, this southerly wind was no problem at all.  Sure I might have run a little slower into that headwind, but it didn't bother me, and when I turned around and headed for home and had a lovely spring breeze as a tailwind behind me as the sun set above and dusk settled on my shoulders, that spring in my step turned to an increased bit of energy and a bit of unexpected pep in my run.

In fact, I ran the exact same 7.5km loop as yesterday, but while yesterday it took me around 47minutes to run that loop, today it took me 44minutes, yet I didn't feel like I was putting in any more of an effort or running any harder.  While my average speed yesterday was 6:13min/km, my average speed today was 5:55min/km.  And I didn't suddenly get faster or fitter between today and yesterday.  The only significant difference is that today's run was a lovely spring run with a warm breeze and a sense of change in the air.

And whether or not the weather stays nice and lovely like this is really beside the point.  I simply plan to enjoy today and be thankful for a lovely spring day.  Even if it's not here to stay!


Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment