Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Something is better than nothing...

Joy here...Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, the day when the Luck O' the Irish runs nearly as freely as the beer around here, what with one of Canada's founding fathers (D'Arcy McGee) being Irish.  But I can tell you that I was not feeling lucky nor celebratory.  In fact, I was cuddled up for most of the day, deep into a good book.  And while the author and I embarked on the powerful ebb and flow of co-creation of the world that pulses and throbs when a reader interacts with a text, I had no intention of going out for a run.  By the time I looked up from my hefty tome and pulled my brain from the place where it had been dancing among the pages, I realized that I would not have time for my 70minute run before I had to head over to friends' place for dinner.  I was about to admit defeat and pick up my book again to squeeze in another chapter (or two), when The Man said, "you might as well just get out there for a run, even a 40 minute run is better than nothing."

And he was right.

I put down my book, laced up my shoes, headed out the door, and squeezed in my same 7.5km loop that I've been doing on all my recent runs, and the time outdoors let me clear my head, return from the imagined land of the book, and get into a more social frame of mind so that I'd be able to enjoy dinner amongst friends and not wish that I was curled back up on the couch reading my book!

So while there was no green beer in my life on this year's St. Patty's Day and no Blarney Stone to kiss to give me the gift of the gab, there was a beautiful blue sky, a warm(ish) breeze against my cheeks, and a sense that any run is better than no run.  As the Trainer once told me, any workout is a success.  So even though I didn't run as long or as fast as I had planned, at least I got myself up off the couch and out the door!

Over and out, 
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment