Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Carp Loop

Joy here...Since I began thinking about riding in the local bike race--the Gatineau Grand Prix (and blogged about that decision here)--I've made the decision to throw myself into as many group rides as I can.  And so when one of the women who I met on a rainy Women on Wheels ride last week invited me to join a group of women cyclists who meet up every now and then on a Saturday morning for a group ride, I was in for sure.

The meeting spot, not my usual bike shop, but
a good one nonetheless!
Before I could ride with the group, though, she offered me a cycling skills clinic, and so at 8am, I showed up for the clinic, and it turned out that only she and I were present, so the "clinic" was more of a one-on-one tutorial, for which I was very grateful.

Like our cross-country ski instructor who began with the basics and had us doing drills--one foot at a time, no poles etc.--this ex-team bike racer had me doing drills--figure eights, bunny hops, turning circles in a parking space--and I couldn't have been a keener student.

Everyone says "it's just like riding a bike," whenever they're talking about something that's apparently really easy and that you'll never forget.  But what if you never really learned how to ride a bike?  Then what?

Evidence of one of my early falls.
As a kid, I learned how to "ride a bike" in that I learned how to propel it forward without falling over.  That's it.  I never learned any technique, and I never really owned a bike.  And when I did own a bike, I never rode it anywhere, because I was afraid of theft.  My hometown "has a much higher bike theft rate than elsewhere," and one Winnipegger writes that cyclists should simply "learn that it is Winnipeg and bikes get stolen on a day to day basis."*  So for all intents and purposes, I didn't learn how to ride a bike until I was in my thirties.  And by "ride a bike," I mean that I learned how to make it go forward...not necessarily without falling over!

So this morning's one-on-one lesson was really helpful.  Did you know that when turning a corner on a bike, you should have the outside leg straight and the inside leg bent?  I didn't know that.  Let me tell you, it sure did make a difference to my turning radius!  (I actually can't wait to try out my new turning technique at the next time trial!)

Once I had mastered the basics, we rode back to the meeting spot and another cyclist met up with us, and out we headed for what turned out to be a 95km bike ride over some rolling country roads (well known to local cyclists as the Carp Loop).

My cycling buddies for today's ride.
While out in the country, we continued the theme of "drills," practicing different types of pace lines, learning how to sprint, and how best to build up speed going up and down rollers.

It was a great ride as the sky got bluer and bluer and the sun warmer and warmer.  I never felt tired, taxed, or put to the limit with these other more-experienced riders, and I was able to learn a lot from them.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that they're both really nice!

And they think that I should just sign up for the Grand Prix and give it a try.

So maybe I will.

Over and out,
Joy

*Both quotations are taken from a Winnipeg bike shop's website offering tips to avoid having your bike stolen.  Click here for the full article from Gord's Ski and Bike Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment