Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Running? What's that?

Joy here...Last week I was out of town for work-related meetings.  I've blogged about the difficulties with keeping up a training regime when travelling numerous times before (first here in 2010 when I had to go to an out-of-town conference, then here, or here in 2011 when I went to babysit my toddler nephew and ran after him, but didn't train, or here in 2012 when I went on a trip to NYC with my non-running/non-cycling sister, or often when I whinge about having to travel to Winnipeg where no sport ever unfolds as it should amidst the work and socializing).

One of our friends--an IronMan athlete who came to our Lake Placid party--also happens to be from my hometown, and he recently had to travel there where his training suffered too (you can read his post here).

So I headed off to Winnipeg...I didn't bring my bike, but I brought my running shoes and numerous changes of clothes so that I'd be set to resume some running and not let all my fitness fade.

Ha!

What did I do?

Good question.

Nothing.

I worked; I socialized; I visited; I ate, and I drank.  I didn't ride or run the whole time I was there.

However, I reconnected with high school friends who I graduated with some 18 years ago.  We had dinner; we had drinks, and we decided that we all definitely look much better now than we did back in high school...so I can't complain.  I won't complain.  It was a much-needed break, and I wouldn't have missed any of the socializing just to go for a run or a ride.

And since I've returned home, I've been very busy catching up on everything, which means that I missed this week's Time Trial as well as the Women on Wheel's ride.  I did, however, get out the door in my Vibram Five Fingered shoes for a 20 minute run, the first run since March!!!  (Today's blog echoes the title of one back in November, again when I seemed to find very little time for running, but enjoyed my barefoot run nonetheless.)

It felt fine, no aches and pains, but it's certainly not the same as going for a good, long, hard bike ride.  Now I'm worried that I'll get back on my bike this weekend and fall over due to lack of fitness and two weeks off the bike.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, and stay tuned for more updates!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment