Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

First Bike Ride in Two Weeks!

Joy here...Okay, so I was out of town from June 18-24 (i.e. no working out at all, unless you count splashing around in the pool with my 2-year old nephew or my friend's two kids), and then when I came back, I had to catch up on a lot of work that piled up while I was away, so I missed that Tuesday's Time Trial (the second one in a row that I missed).  Then I had a function to attend on Wednesday, so I missed the "Women on Wheels" ride (the third one in a row that I missed).  And, in short, my last bike ride was Saturday, June 16th--a great 95km ride over rolling, country terrain with two more experienced riders--and so when my friends were up for a ride on Monday, July 2nd, I did the math and counted more than two weeks of no-riding for me, and so I agreed to Monday's ride and hoped for the best.
The view of the country fields and the aqua sky above.

And the best arrived.

We met under gloriously blue skies and a light breeze at 9am, and rode 75kms door-to-door with four of us practicing a pace line and keeping our over-all average speed around 30km/hr, even with the sometimes strong headwind.

At no time did I feel tired, taxed, or put to the limit.  It was a great ride, and my legs were thanking me for getting back up on the bike.

While I've struggled with motivation for the last two weeks, with feeling overwhelmed by my growing to-do list, and worrying that I just can't finish everything that needs finishing, after that bike ride, I felt invigorated...like the whole world is my oyster and there's nothing I can't do.

It almost looks like the prairies with that big sky, doesn't it?
So if my little 25 minute runs this week are allowing me the opportunity to meditate, to find something creative and centred in a personal way, then this bike ride reminded me that bike riding gives me that extra bit of confidence and external power so that I can do anything I set my mind to.

That combination of riding and running just might be the magic elixir that I've been seeking.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment