Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Meditative Run

Joy here...After this week's first 20 minute run (my first run since March, yes, March!), I got out again this week for a 25 minute run in my minimalist shoes.

It's unbelievable to me how out of shape I am vis-a-vis running.  I mean, I know that I've been doing a lot of bike riding lately, and I know that I've actually been doing a lot of nothing physically for the past two weeks, but I was surprised at how 25 minutes was probably my limit.  I don't think I had much more in me...maybe I could have pulled off another 15 minutes or so, but that would have been pushing it.

While I was out there huffing and puffing for my wee 25 minutes along the bike path, Nomi and Lulu were on the opposite side of the world running in Australia's Gold Coast Marathon.  Nomi has now finished two (yes, TWO) marathons, and this one was Lulu's first-ever marathon.

Nomi and I began our running journey together, and she's just gone on and on with longer and longer distances, where I've veered away from the running road and onto the bike.

But part of me sure does miss those runs.

While I was out there huffing and puffing through my 25 minutes, I remembered what I love about running:  It's very creative and meditative.  Cycling is fun and fast and there's adrenaline and speed, but running (at least for me) is more about the rhythmic pounding of my feet against the ground and getting my breathing in time with my feet so that my whole body works like a drum...beating out its own rhythm...so that I can turn inwards and think about writing and the world and myself in it, and all those things that in my busy work-a-day world, I sometimes forget to take time to do.

So while I imagine I'm going to be doing a lot of bike riding for the rest of this summer, I'm going to try to take some time for these little runs so that I can reconnect with that thoughtful side of myself.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment