Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Travelling and Treadmills




Joy here...One thing that I have realized is that it is very hard to maintain a consistent training program (for anything - running, cycling, swimming etc.) while having to travel.  As hard as it is to be motivated to keep to a running plan when I'm at home, it's even harder when I'm not even at home.  This realization was hit home to me this past week.  I had to travel for a conference out of town for three days; I knew that I'd have access to a treadmill, and I dutifully packed my running gear, but even with the best plans in the world, my running still suffered.  Because I wasn't able to pull off a long run last week, I was intending to beat that beast while I was away.  Unfortunately, the first day I arrived was jam-packed from the moment my plane landed until the moment I crawled under the bedsheets.  However, I rallied and woke up bright and early the next day to run on the treadmill.  I had planned to run for 2 hours to make up for my missed long run, but only lasted about 90 minutes before I was (a) so bored of the treadmill that I thought I might die and (b) running low on time if I planned to shower and eat before heading to the conference.  After those 90 minutes of running, I didn't have another minute to myself that entire day.  The following day was much the same:  I woke up, headed to the conference, had a meeting after the conference, and then attended a dinner.  On Saturday - my return day - I got up before the sun, headed to the airport, flew home, and then pulled off a 9 km run upon my return.  All in all, I'm glad that I was able to do *some* running amidst the travel, but to be honest, it's very hard to keep to any sort of real schedule when real life rears its ugly head and makes its demands.

But with the 1/2 marathon only 4 weeks away, I can't afford to slip up on my training and running, otherwise, I'll find myself sitting at the side of the curb with my head in my hands instead of running across the finish line with my arms raised in triumph.  I'm looking forward to option two!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment