Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tempo Run? I don't think so...

Joy here...Okay, so since I've hit a running wall with my training and am doing my best to make running fun so that I don't just throw in the proverbial towel, hang up my shoes, and plunk my butt on the couch, we've altered our schedule just a bit.  The new and revised (new and improved???) schedule is as follows:
Sunday - bike ride
Monday - rest day
Tuesday - "quality workout" (i.e tempo run)
Wednesday - bike ride and/or easy run
Thursday - easy run (around 15 kms)
Friday - bike ride and/or easy run (around 9 kms)
Saturday - long run (up to 20 kms this coming weekend!)
Now the little glitch to this plan this week is that on Tuesday when we were supposed to get up at 5am so that we could get our run in before the heat and humidity of the day we turned off the alarm clock, rolled over and went back to sleep until around 7am!!!  Okay, so no problem, we figured we'd make up the run later on in the day.  Hah!  Fat chance!  The day just got hotter and hotter and hotter and hotter and hotter.  So we ended up ditching the workout all together yesterday.



So that meant that today (Wednesday) we had to squeeze in a tempo run in the morning.  We dutifully got up at 5am and were out the door shortly after 6am for the tempo workout.  So far so good.  But according to some of the running books that The Man uses as our training bibles (the Daniels' Running Formula being at the top of that list), our "tempo" pace should be around 4:50min/km.  Well, this is where the use of my Garmin is proving the adage that a little bit of information can be a dangerous thing.  I mean, imagine yourself out there running as hard as you can, but then you look down at your Garmin to find out that your pace is actually your "easy" pace, and you're supposed to be going about 45 seconds quicker.  Well what do you do?  If you're me, you have a mini-breakdown on the inside ("I'm a failure..." "Why can't I run?"  "What's wrong with me?"  "I can't do this..." etc. etc.) and then just run as well as you can and do your best to forget about what you *should* be doing in terms of pace.  In fact, if you're me, you switch your Garmin from the pace setting to the heart rate setting so that if tempted to look at your wrist, you will only see what your heart rate is (and thus avoid being disappointed by your slow pace).  I found that strategy was much more helpful (I mean "helpful" in the sense that I felt less like killing myself).  During the "tempo" sets (two sets of 15 minutes) my heart rate was 162 for the first set and 165 for the second set.  It was around 147 during the easy warm up and cool down parts.  I figured that was a better way of gauging myself instead of fixating on pace that was just depressing me.

The run stats for today are:
Ran for a total of 1:27:00 for a distance of 15.11km with an average pace of 5:41min/km (and that average pace was determined by:
-45 mins of easy warm up running at 6:00min/km
-15 mins of tempo, with 3 minute easy run break, followed by 15 mins of tempo
-10 mins of easy cool down running at around 5:50min/km)

So today's run wasn't really a tempo run, but it was a run, and that's worth something.  And it was a run based on heart rate, and if you've got your heart in the right place, you can't go wrong...can you?

**Note:  The graphic is from the University of Minnesota's website that offers information on working out in the heat:  http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/2004/UR_18942_REGION1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment