Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Doin' a Double-Take

Joy here...In keeping with my new "off season" mentality towards running for the next little while, on Sunday after our 10km race, The Man went out for a bike ride, and I snuggled up under our down-filled comforter with a book in hand and read to my heart's content for a few hours.  I know that Nomi would have been very jealous.  I mean, she has a kid with enough energy to power the entire southern hemisphere if there were a way to wire her up to a reactor, and so Nomi's chances to curl up in bed with a book are pretty limited.  So, Nomi, I enjoyed myself both for me and for you!
Ahhhhh, this is the life...
But an "off season" doesn't mean a "nothing season."  I wouldn't want to waste my fitness by doing a whole lotta nothing and end up this Christmas exactly where I was last Christmas (which is, bursting out of my pants and huffing and puffing for 30 minutes of running!).  So I made plans with a friend to go running on Tuesday afternoon.  We went out for a nice, easy 5.5km run around this farm that lies right in the middle of the city.  It's associated with one of the city's universities, and it's strange to have a farm right in an urban centre, but there are paths for running, cycling, and walking that meander through this farm, and we were only too happy to take advantage of it.

It actually also turned out to be a lovely autumn day.  I had a running vest and gloves on for warmth, but as we ran under a clear sky and bright sun, I ended up unzipping my vest and taking off my gloves.  I think we might have even broken a sweat!

*See below for copyright info for this picture.
After I got home from our run, I was scarfing down a late lunch when The Man called from work and told me that he had made plans for us to run with another friend of ours.  So I figured "okay, two runs in one day, that's not too bad."  I went and picked him up from work (still in my running gear from before, I mean, why double up on laundry???), and we met our other friend to head out for a longer run.  The three of us then ran for 11.5kms into the setting sun.

Since we set our clocks back ("fall back") for Daylight's Savings Time this past weekend, the sun sets around 4:30pm these days.  So as we started our run, I was wearing my sunglasses, and by the end, I was holding them in my hand and hoping that I wouldn't mis-step in the dark.

But all-in-all, it meant that I ran around 17kms in total on a Tuesday, during my "off season," and I felt great on both runs.  They were both relaxing, social runs with friends that reiterated to me that no matter how hard it is sometimes to get my butt out the door for a run, I never regret doing it!

Over and out,
Joy

*This aerial photograph of Ottawa's Experimental farm was taken by Rob Huntley.  There are other photos from this over-head session available on his website and I'm hoping that this just our little training blog for fun that he won't come hunting after me for using his copyrighted photo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment