Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Final Countdown........

Nomi says....

I think it's 4 days and a couple of hours left for my half marathon...

I haven't been training like crazy...just doing what I'm able to manage. Which is pretty much run if i feel like it, and not run if i don't. The weekend before last, I went running with Lulu's bootcamp buddies. It was a 11km hilly run. I think that some of her buddies are part human-part horse.They dashed off from the beginning of the run itself, in what must have been a pace of 4 or 4.5min/km...was lost from view in a matter of minutes and i only saw them again at the end of the run. But, it was a good run. The weather was cool, i got to see parts of the city i had never seen before....and the cool weather made such a difference to the stamina. I didn't have to drink a lot and didn't feel all that tired, despite having to run up a couple of hills.
Last Sunday, was my 1st ever 18km road run. I set off bright and early...didn't want to get baked in the hot, hot sun...and this was basically what happened:
Cool, drizzly day by the lake...

0kms: Started to drizzle...which was wonderful. The weather was cool and refreshing.
5kms: My right knee started to hurt a little....
10kms: My right knee hurt more and my right lower back started to ache, radiating down the right thigh to       the knee...
14kms: My left knee started to hurt...
16kms: Both my ankles hurt...
18kms: I think even my collarbones hurt at this point..Yay.....i was done. And i saw Lulu, doing her first 15km run...Helooooo Lulu!!!!!

It took me 1 hour and 58mins to run 18km at a pace of about 6 to 6.5min/km, with a few stops to take photos and buy drinks..I have no idea about my average pace, calories burnt or any other data..cause i still don't really know how to use my GPS watch.
But, at least i know that i have the stamina to complete 21km.Now, the pain is the factor which will determine whether i finish in 2 hours ++ or 3 hours++:) I remember Joy mailing me articles about  injuries and how to prevent them...and writing to me about her post run recovery methods. I remember another friend Peaches telling me to do strengthening exercises at the gym. Well, i sort of did do all that sporadically, but i guess it was not consistent enough.And Lulu doesn't hurt at all....wonder if i can borrow her knees for the upcoming race.....

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Nomi! I'll be thinking of you this weekend! Just have fun!

    xo
    Joy

    ReplyDelete