Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Friday, November 5, 2010

Runnin' in the Rain...

I'm running in the rain



Just running in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's in my heart
And I'm ready for sport
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain
I've a smile on my face
I run down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just runnin',
Runnin' in the rain...

Joy here...I wish that's how I felt on my Friday run outside, but I think Axl Rose was a little more on point than Gene Kelly.  I was definitely feeling the Cold November Rain, and try as I might, my heart wasn't lifted and there was no sun in sight...either inside or outside!

Lately I've been doing 5km or 6km easy runs with two of my friends who have decided to take up running, and are going to run their first 5km race in January and work up to a half marathon (probably in the spring).  It's nice to run and chat with them in the cool autumn mornings.  However, The Man and I have signed up for a 10km race as the end to our summer running season, and it's TOMORROW.  So I knew that I'd have to do more than just a few casual runs if I wanted to complete the 10km without having a heart attack.  

Originally I thought that between the half marathon (Oct. 17) and this 10km race (Nov. 6) I would have time to do some speed work, and thus aim for a good time at the 10km race that I could use to help me plan my next racing strategy (say for a full marathon sometime next year).  But with life happening in there - including Hallowe'en and all the candy that lies around one's place afterwards and buying a house of our own (!!!) - we just haven't had time for any specific training.

So it was with a bit of trepidation that I bundled up and got ready to run in the 3 C rainy weather.  The skies were ominous and the wind was cold, and at no point in my run did I hit a groove.  
The Storm Out to Get Me!
I was cold, I was tired, and I was sick of getting splashed with water by oncoming cars.  In short, it was a crap run.  But I guess I've got to take the crappy ones alongside the nice ones with my friends and hope hope hope that on Saturday morning the storm clouds are nowhere to be seen!

My run stats for today are:
Ran for a total of 50:12:25 for a distance of 8.87km with an average pace of 5:39min/km.

Over and out,
Joy-the-Soggy

No comments:

Post a Comment