Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dust Yourself Off and Get Back Up...

Internal Pep Rally
Joy here...So after taking a break from running for over a week, I felt myself backsliding.  You see, with running, there's this kind of tipping point.  When you first start running all you can do is come up with a million and one excuses to avoid going for a run.  Granted, once you get out there and are moving, the run isn't so bad, but beforehand it's like you have to have your own private pep rally just to get out the door.  Then once you're about a month into a running routine those pre-run pep talks are less and less necessary.  However, if you backslide and find yourself getting behind on your runs, then you'll be right back where you started:  pep rally central.  That's exactly how far back I had fallen this week.  The week before last I was feeling high and great - doing back-to-back workouts and hammering out all my runs - and then last week I did nothing, so this week when I knew that I had to get out the door on Tuesday, I had a million and one excuses that I had to overcome just to get out there.

But get out the door I finally did.  Tuesdays are scheduled as 75 minute runs, so whether I liked it or not, I was gonna be out there for 75 minutes.  It didn't matter that as we ran the falling snow turned to freezing rain - little pellets of ice poking into my eyes with every step - and it didn't matter that the snow was slippery - like wet concrete laid over a layer of ice.  My legs felt heavy, and it was a tough run, never really hitting my stride or finding a groove.  But at least I picked myself up after my week off; I dusted myself off; and I got back out there such as it were.

What a way to commute!
While some people were out skating on the canal, we were on the snow ploughed paths just trying to put one foot in front of the other.

Here are my run stats:
Ran for a total of 1:16:39 for a distance of 12.18km with an average pace of 6:17min/km.

And while that's neither the furthest nor fastest that I've ever run, at least I got out there for the time as scheduled on my little plan, and I'm happy with that small victory.

Tonight I'm trying rock climbing (indoors, of course), for the very first time.  Let's just hope I don't fall and break both my legs, because that would seriously put a damper on my running!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment