Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Finding my Stride

Joy here...After Monday's rest day, Tuesday was scheduled as a 75min. run with 6 strides.  Now I have written about strides before, about how strides operate, and how strides can bring some fun into a run, and how strides strangely made my knee feel better when it was starting to pain me in the summer as I trained for my first ever half marathon.  But since we had some sort of extenda-off season that seemed to last for much of November and all of December, I haven't been adding strides to my runs lately.  Heck, I've just counted it an accomplishment to get out the door with my feet moving beneath me!

But Tuesday's run was different.  We had those 6 strides scheduled, and my newfound determination to stick to my workouts so that I can actually complete this 30km race in March, I was going to do those strides no matter what, and I successfully completed them all!

A little cartoon showing the juxtaposition of
winter's sunlight and winter's snow.
As luck would have it, the day was crisp, clear, and bright, with very little in the way of snow on the ground.  While much of Europe has been inundated with record levels of snow, closing airports and schools, we in Ottawa have so far been treated to much less snow than usual.

So, refreshed after a day off working out and given the gift of afternoon sun and clear paths to run upon, out the door we went to tick off another run to be new-and-improved 2011 selves.

Here are my run stats:
Ran for a total of 1:15:00 for a distance of 12.14km with an average pace of 6:11min/km.

So I'm still not burning up the road with speed or anything like that, but I am patient enough to let that come with time.  I'm sure that by including these runs with strides a few times a week, eventually I'll hit my own stride!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment