Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, January 3, 2011

First Run of 2011!

Joy here...Okay, I'll admit it...the holidays have definitely taken their toll on my fitness and my waistline.  I somehow feel like I'm back where I was last year at this time when I literally burst out of my pants after a two-week Christmas holiday.
How did this happen again???
But instead of feeling discouraged by feeling smooshy, lazy, and out of shape, I'm telling myself that I have to recognize that people have all sorts of phases - ups and downs - and that it's not worth beating myself up over it.  Instead, I'm focusing on the positives.  I may have some holiday food still sticking to my stomach, thighs, and butt; however, I haven't lost all my half marathon fitness.  Last year at this time, I had to huff and puff to try and run for 30 minutes, and now I can run for around 90 minutes if I must.  And last year, I had to huff and puff to try and run for 5kms, and now I can run for around 15kms if I must.  So I need to hold onto those numbers, because if I was able to improve from my 30 minute, 5km runs to run a 10km race in the spring, then there's no reason that I can't improve on my 90 minute, 15km runs to be able to run a 30km race this coming spring.  I might not be fast, and I might not be a lean, mean running machine, but if I can run those 30kms and feel comfortable doing it, then it will be a victory for me.

So on my quest for that kind of a moderate victory, here are my run stats for my first run of 2011:
Ran for a total of 1:25:18 for a distance of 14.66km with an average pace of 5:49min/km.

That's a decent baseline starting point for my 30km aspirations.  For my two 10km races, my main goal was to run in less than 1hr, which I achieved; for my half marathon, my main goal was to run in less than 2hrs, which I achieved; so I think that I'm formulating a goal to run this 30km race in less than 3hrs.  

So in the less-than-three-months between now and then, I will try to run at least one long run every weekend and try to increase my distance by one or two kilometres until I can reasonably run for around 3 hours.  Fingers crossed!

At least 2011 is off to a good start, as the goal of that 30km run is huge and looms large, but at this point it does seem do-able.  Granted, there'll be a lot of pain to make that do-able...but no pain, no gain, right?

Over and out, 
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment