Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, March 21, 2011

No Glory or Runner's High

Joy here...Well there's some hope that spring is arriving, dragging her sorry @$$ as she comes.  Some of the giant snow banks have begun to melt, and more often the precipitation is rain rather than snow.  Even with this slowly changing temperature and its effect on my slowly changing mood, I still have to admit that I'm wholly underprepared for my 30km race that is now only a week away.  I haven't had either the time or the inclination to build up my long runs to the distance that I would have liked, and so Sunday will be the first time ever that I've run 30kms.  We'll see how that turns out, now won't we???

I've been riding my bike more than I've been running, well, basically because I can ride indoors (on my trainer or in my spinning class) rather than face the snow and ice outside.  All I'm hoping is that there'll be some cross-over fitness.

Here's a summary of what I've been up to:
Wednesday - Rode indoors on the trainer for an interval ride (7 sets of 2-minute intervals):  Rode for a total of 1:21:02.
Thursday - Had spinning class, followed by 1 hour strength training, followed by a run:  (1)  Rode for a total of 58:40:56; (2) Ran for a total of 56:26:16 for a distance of 9.01km with an average speed of 6:16min/km.
Friday - Rest Day
Saturday - Ran for a total of 1:15:30 for a distance of 12.41km with an average pace of 6:05min/km
Sunday - Ran for a total of 2:03:39 for a distance of 19.98km with an average pace of 6:11min/km.

So Sunday's run - 2 hours of running for around 20kms - will be my last "long run" before next Sunday's race - which will be 3 hours or running for around 30kms!!!
I won't treat this upcoming race as a race per se, but rather as just another "long run."  I won't do anything special or have some kind of tricky race plan so that I can blast ahead.  All I'm going to try to do is hold on for about 3 hours and see if I can do it.  I'm not hoping for glory or a runners high, but rather for a sense of accomplishment despite my limited preparation.

And when I get discouraged that I'm not prepared to run 30kms, I'll just remind myself that it's March, and I'm running half-marathon distances right now...a distance that I never ever ever thought I'd be able to run. Period. Sometimes a little perspective is a very healthy thing.

Over and out,
Joy

PS - If you've been wondering what's happened to Nomi since the start of 2011, don't you worry, she's just fine.  She's started a new job, which is taking up a lot of her time, but she's been able to maintain her treadmill runs, and is running 60 mins a few times a week, with a 75 mins run as her long run.  We're still signed up for our half marathon together at the end of May, and we've even started looking around for hotels in Singapore!

No comments:

Post a Comment