Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Let's Run Around and Shoot Each Other, Okay?


Joy here...So for our penultimate day in Malaysia a group of friends made arrangements to head out and play paintball...
Our friend who organized the game.
Sensei Paintball Master
...and in the process, we turned into 10 year old boys....


Me and The Man ready for action!


















Now I had never played paintball before, and so I'll just give you a bit of info about the rules of gameplay:  Basically there are two teams, and each team has a "goal" area.  The point of the game is for someone on your team to make it to the other team's "goal" without getting shot.  Each team's starting position is its own "goal" and thus, you have to make your way across the entire field, hiding behind big, inflated barriers, trying not to be shot, but also shooting opponents.  You are armed with a "mark" that shoots water soluble paint balls at your opponents.  The games are really short, maybe about 2 minutes each, and so if you get shot and are "out" you really only have to wait on the sideline for a very short while before you're back in the game.

Action shot of me running and shooting!
Now there were about 8 of us playing.  We're all grown ups with jobs and lives, and can be pretty serious at times.

But let me tell you, you put a paintball gun in our hands, and we turned into crazy maniacs just trying to shoot each other.

I mean, what's more fun than running around, shooting at your friends???

Our group of friends included a guy who used to be a marine and another one who went to military school.  Um, yeah, I think they had a bit of an advantage!!!

The Man honing his sniping skills!
I was the only girl amongst our group of friends, but if you think that means that they took it easy on me and didn't shoot me with the same vigour, you would be sadly mistaken.

I am happy to report that in the world of paintballing, feminism has scored the ultimate goal, and we're all equal.

Equally crazy!

One thing that I learned about myself in all this is that I'd much rather run forward and take all sorts of risks of being shot, than sit back and have the patience to ride it out safely behind one of the barriers.

Don't mess with the ex-marine!
All around it was a great way to spend 3 hours on a Wednesday afternoon.  Now I don't know if I'm going to sign up and join a league or anything like that, but when I want to gather together a group of friends for an afternoon of pure, unadulterated fun, coupled with some violence and athleticism, paintballing is going to be at the top of my list of activities from here on in!

Look at the military school grad turned pilot captain taking aim!
I mean, the rush of running, shooting, hiding, aiming...is really quite exciting.  

Hmmmm...maybe all that paleolithic eating we've been doing is tapping into our more primal instincts!


So while I've broadened my sporting regime this last year to include cycling, climbing, spinning, and strength training, I guess I can now add paintballing to the list!



A little paintballer smoochy smoochy!




No comments:

Post a Comment