Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Travelling, Running, and Winnipeg

Joy here...Our flight landed and with less than 36 hours we were on another one.  We had just enough time to dump out our suitcases and repack them.  And then we were seated on the plane once more.  Our bleary eyes and jet lagged selves were in a robotic state as we flew from Ottawa to Winnipeg where I had meetings to attend to immediately upon our return to Canada.

We had our running shoes in our suitcases, and we were all set to run as a way of tackling our jet lag.

Ha!

We pulled off one run of about 60 minutes that had me huffing and puffing the whole way, and a second one of about 75 minutes that had me breathing a little bit better but running at a "slow jog" kind of pace.

Now I know that travelling and running is tough.  It's never easy to keep up one's rhythm while travelling.  I get that.  I've been there, done that (as the saying goes).  Nonetheless, when faced with one's inadequacies, one can't help but feel a little bit down.

I mean, will I be able to pull off a full marathon?  Will I be able to get the mileage in my legs?  Will I be able to build base?  Will I be able to feel some kind of running groove?

I don't know.

And in that not knowing, I hate myself.  I am plagued with doubts and feelings of inadequacy.  And I hate it.  As I get filled with hate at myself, I end up looking for a target for that hate.

And it just so happens, that one of my favourite bands from my hometown (Winnipeg), called The Weakerthans was kind enough to write a song that gives me a perfect opportunity to redirect some of my hate.  Their song is called "I Hate Winnipeg," and while its lyrics outline so many of the things wrong with the city, its tune and tone suggest a kind of lament and elegy borne out of love for their hometown, and I think that's why I like this song so much.  It combines the pain and frustration that comes from being born and raised in a city that is flawed in some pretty deep ways (like the fact that the mosquitoes can eat small children and the winter would frighten even the heartiest Muscovite) with a kind of longing.  Have a listen for yourself:

I just couldn't help but hear this song running through my head as I ran in Winnipeg to kick my jet lag and to keep myself somewhat in shape.

My feet hit the potholed concrete to the rhythm of the band's song...step, step, I, step, hate, step, Winnipeg, step, step...

It's so much nicer to blame someplace or something else rather than oneself, right?

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment