Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Shall I, shall I, shall I ?

Nomi says,

So, i have run a few 10km races, a trail race, two half marathons....time to move along? Shall I, should I, more importantly, can I run a full marathon? Prior to this, i thought that all i could manage is a half marathon. And while running 10km races, in the beginning of this adventure, that was all i thought that i could do to. But, i progressed to half marathons, painfully i must add....and now i am comfortable running them. A few months ago, while running my first half marathon, I thought that every piece of my body would fall apart at 18kms. But not so during this recent half marathon a few days ago. A few months ago, it would not have even crossed my mind to attempt a full marathon. No doubt,  my timing for the half marathon is not excellent, i do not win prizes...but i finish upright, and as Joy says...with a smile on the face.
I have absolutely no idea or even where to begin with training for a full marathon. So, i wiped the layers of dust off my Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running which i bought more than a year ago, and had read only about 19 pages, for ideas. In Chapter 9 -  Conquering A Marathon- there is a beginners marathon training schedule and an advanced guide on training for a full marathon. So, the beginners guide seems very doable. It's a gradual, relatively easy training guide for a newbie runner, the main aim being just to finish the race. Which sounds like what i could do. Without having to quit work, sell a kidney or trade in my soul:) So, chapter 9 in somewhere between Chapters 1 and 21, which means that i glanced through all the other chapters, which i technically should have done when i first started running seriously. I remember Joy writing all about the principles of training in the beginning of this blog. I should have retained what i read then, cause it sure would have been helpful. But, better late than never. So, here's to another new adventure....hmmmm....now to rope in Lulu along for the ride, as Joy is well on her way into one.





No comments:

Post a Comment