Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cili Padi: Grey Power!

Joy here...Today's post is a shout out homage to one of my dear friends who comes riding with me in the park where I live.  I've written about her countless times before: like when we went riding last summer and I fell over, and she just gave me a kleenex and didn't laugh at me once; or when I pointed out that she's 60 years old and gave me the courage to ride a loop in the park all by myself for the first time last summer; or when I indicated that she lured me into a spinning class this winter; or when I wrote about our first bike ride this season when there was still snow on the ground; and basically all of July 2011's loops of the park (see the archives for all those entries).  Basically, she'll be 61 this fall, and she looks, sounds, and acts like she's not a day over 35.  The only giveaway is her grey hair.

And as we stood at the top of the Champlain Lookout after riding up those hills in the park, we talked about that fact.  She said that women will clap for her when she runs near her house, or cheer her up those hills in the park, as if she's some kind of invalid.  It drives her crazy - and well it should!  Let me tell you here and now, loud and clear:  DON'T LET AGE FOOL YOU!  She's as tough as nails!  There's a term in Malaysia for someone like her:  cili padi!  A cili padi is a small, but powerful pepper that has quite the kick.  That describes my friend for sure.  So from here on in, she's being christened Cili Padi on this blog!

Cili Padi has become a close friend over the past few years, and in large part I have cycling to thank for that.  Just as Nomi and I got to be adult BFFs largely through our running, Cili Padi and I have gotten to know each other as we grind up those hills and power down the inclines.  She's a real inspiration, and not just because I want to be like her when I'm her age, but because I want to be like her now.  She tackles things with a head-on dedication, and she'll tell you what's on her mind.  She's not afraid of letting kids in the park who are being dangerous know that they should smarten up, and she's not afraid of riding her little heart out.  She shows me how to be serious and fun all at once, and for that I'm very grateful.

And today, Cili Padi reached a maximum speed of over 60kms/hr!  So don't be fooled by her demure stature and grey hair.  That pepper packs a punch!

Over and out,
Joy

PS - In case you were counting, we also finished Loop #11 of the season in the park.  Pretty soon we'll be ready to do a two-looper!

1 comment:

  1. What a tribute to a wonderful woman! I've known your Cili Padi by another name for over a decande now, and I too have often been inspired by her.

    "Chepita"
    (from Italy)

    ReplyDelete