Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Friday, August 12, 2011

Finding Different Reasons to Run...

Joy here...If you've read some of the entries over the last year on this blog, then you'll be familiar with the many ups and downs both Nomi and I have had with our running.  For me, I've struggled with motivation issues; I've struggled with reaching training goals; I've struggled with finding time with travelling and work to still be able to run; I've struggled with the weather; and one of the things that has always come through as a shining beacon of light at the end of the dark tunnel of my many struggles has been my friends.

Of course, first and foremost among them are The Man and Nomi herself, but along the way, I've been very grateful to my cycling friends, my "sisterhood" - SK (who started riding loops in the park with me last year and has continued this year), Cili Padi (who is a sixty-something cycling inspiration), our trainer (who is now also our friend), the Professor (a new and fast friend), and Power Penna (who has pulled her daughter through the park TWICE with me, and countless other times when I wasn't there to witness in awe) - as well as to our inspirational Ironman friends Simon and Bryan, and I've been grateful to my running friends - Lulu with her endless enthusiasm and AK with her years of running triumphs - and now I have realized yet another way that sport and friendship can be intimately intertwined.

You see, this past spring, just before we headed to Malaysia, we found out that one of our good friends in Ottawa was diagnosed with breast cancer.

As a friend, what do you do with that information?  What can you do?  How do you support someone?  How do you help them?  How do you work to make change?  What avenues are open as a bystander?  I've been struggling with these thoughts.  Not just how to support my one, individual friend, but also how to support the countless women and their families who have battled or are battling cancer.  One of the things I can do is sign up for the CIBC Run for the Cure.  It's a breast cancer fundraiser and awareness run.  The least I can do is run 5kms, right?

I mean, she's got the hard work cut out for her of battling cancer.  It's a very small thing to raise some money and run in support of her and all the women out there who are fighting (and even those who have sadly lost their fight).  If you want to donate to this worthy cause, you can do so through my friend's page through the Run for the Cure, because she'll come on out and run with me...and I'll carry her if I have to!

So wish me luck, as I put on my barefoot running shoes and get out there on Sunday, October 2nd to run and support my friend!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment