Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Running for fun and the need for speed...

Joy here...As I'm sure you must have noticed, somehow this running blog that tracks how Nomi and I train for running races has turned into more of a cycling blog for July and August (so far) from my end of things.  Nomi is still running away like gusto, with her long run up to 2 hours and 20 minutes, and she's well on track to meeting her goal of a first full marathon this November.  I, however, have fallen off the marathon wagon, but instead of hitting the hard, cold gravel of sportless reality, I have landed on my bike with my legs turning just as furiously as they ever did on my runs.

I think it's fair that I've been charting my cycling here just as I charted my running, because I think that's how it goes when you get into sport...there are ups and downs, and you might find yourself in an "off season" for one sport while picking up another, and you might even find yourself working different and complementary muscles along the way.

And as I've turned my attention more to building some cycling fitness than coherently training for a marathon, I've also turned my running mind from long-distance goals to trying to participate in the barefoot running movement.  So I've been running less and shorter, and trying to do so with minimal foot support.

Just as last summer my half marathon training hit a bump in the road, and I got over that bump by reminding myself that running is supposed to be FOR FUN, this year I've gotten into this barefoot running thing because it's fun.

Who wouldn't want to be one with nature
like this?
So when I went out the door this late afternoon for a 10-minute barefoot run (with my feet only clad in my cute-as-pie Bikila foot gloves) I just let myself have fun.  The Man didn't run with me, so I ran at my own pace (probably faster than I should have) and just let myself relax into the flow.  I heard the slap slap slap of my feet hitting the ground in tune with the whoo whoo whoo of my exhalation as my whole body got into a rhythm of its own - breath in tune with legs, in tune with swinging arms, in tune with turning legs - and I remembered that I really do like running.  Even though it seems like I spend all my time on the bike these days, you don't have to worry that I'll let my running fall away.  Today reminded me that I like it just too darned much to give it up!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment