Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, October 10, 2011

As I Roved Out.....

Nomi says,

Well, i think I've bitten off more than i can chew. I seriously don't know how I am going to do this upcoming full marathon in Nov. I still remember me discussing this with Joy a couple of months ago, feeling so optimistic about it, and now i just feel like slapping myself:)

Blazing hot sunshine in the background 

Anyhow, i faithfully plotted my strategy to get through the upcoming full marathon on this pretty calendar, that had cute little boxes for each day of the month. With my "Runner's World Guide to Women's Running" in one hand, I marked out the days and duration that i had to run, on this pretty calendar, at least 6 months in advance. Well, needless to say that the plans just remained plans. Every so often, i had to skip out on sessions due to home issues, work issues or just 'plain lazy' issues.  Now, I have just about 5 weeks before the upcoming race...and I am soooooo unprepared for it.

I tried to run about 3 times per week that included 2 gym sessions and maybe one long run during the weekends. By long run...I mean that i aspire to run at least 3 hours or so...have visions of me  steadily trudging along the kilometers, looking strong and fit....but in reality , the training fell pretty much on what my actual schedule was like, and i was puffing and panting like an old steam engine that belonged in a museum. The most I have been able to run for is 3 hours....and that's at super slow snail speed.. I have absolutely no idea how I will be able to complete 42kms in decent time. And by decent, i mean 5 to 6 hours. I guess, ultimately it comes down to how much pain once can take and how hot it gets, in this hot and humid climate here.
I think my fingers are in the way
But...i have to try, I guess. I set off to the local gardens where i usually run this past weekend. Well, the place where i live is not the safest, ideal place to run alone...so unless Lulu or Joy runs with me, I run when it's day light. So, it's an hour or so of running comfortably before it gets really hot. Now a days, I run just based on time and how much my knees hurt. I don't run with a GPS or check my pace. Whatever is comfortable goes. So, i have no idea on the distance or pace that I am doing. Just duration.
Yumm....fresh coconut water....

So , i just plodded thought the kilometers,. sweating buckets...and it was blazing hot!!!! I managed to run about 3 hours or so. It was a beautiful, beautiful day...but just so hot! So, when my knees hurt too much and i just needed a breather...i took pictures of whatever came along. And the flowers and plants that i see are the same every time i run, regardless of the time of the year. It adds splashes of color and life to a monotonous landscape. I remember Joy putting up pictures of herself running in snow...and i can only imagine how trying it must be for her. Here i have sunshine practically everyday of the year...and almost ideal running conditions, if it isn't too hot. To whomever is out there, running in these gardens is an a walk in the park, restful, beautiful and worth a try at least once.

I changed my shoes to the Lunarglides 3. I have given up trying different brands and different cushioning types. I guess I'll just stick to what i am familiar with for this upcoming race. It feels pretty much the same as the Lunarglides 2...but these new shoes feel like there's less support on the medial arch on the left foot, which makes one over pronate.
Lunarglides 3


Well, as Joy says...onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment