Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, October 17, 2011

Born free......as free as the wind blows...

Nomi says,


It started with Joy and her Vibrams...then Lulu and her New Balance 890's...my interest was piqued.
I had been wanting to try the minimal cushioning shoes for a while now. My greatest worry was that i would bust my knees. As it it, they would take turns to pain periodically. But, Joy and Lulu were very encouraging. Joy had observed my running gait before and said that minimal cushioning shoes might actually work for me than against. ( personally, i thought that i looked like a frightened chicken while running:) And Lulu had no problems with her new shoes. So, I broke my piggy bank and got myself the Nike Free Run 2. They came in 3 colors at the store, grey, pink and black. The grey ones had silver reflectors along the sides and with a  water resistant coating.
Nike Free Run +2 Shield 
 
So, i took my self and shoes for it's maiden run at the forest research institute near where i live. I must say, the shoes were very, very comfortable. They gave a snug fit ( like the feeling you get when wearing socks) without being constrictive. And while running, the uppers were supportive, and one did not get the sensation that the feet were rolling in all directions. The feet were not molded by rigid uppers or inch thick cushioned soles. The gait felt natural,  the breathable uppers and lightweight soles did give one a  sense of freedom while running. I managed to run for about an hour or so. And i felt more fatigue and running took more effort than usual. But, the knees didn't hurt as much as i expected them to. Instead, my right shin and right hip hurt after running about 50 minutes or so. The left leg was perfectly fine. I think that running in these shoes will only get better once i get used to them. I don't have to break them in for the upcoming marathon, so I"ll use my old shoes. But i am definitely happy with these new ones and look forward to hours of running in them.


The research institute was a beautiful place to run in...with lots of greenery, and trees all over. The weather was cool and fresh in the morning. However, the asphalt roads were all open to traffic, and not an ideal place to run. The running loop was a maximum of 2km+ with hilly bits in between. The route was dotted with little streams, small water falls at the sides, trees - of all shapes, shades of green and sizes ;grassy areas to just stroll along or have a picnic in and little ponds. It's a good place for a leisurely visit, but not to do a long run.

So, we shall see how me and my shoes get along.....

No comments:

Post a Comment