Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Busted knees and blah days....part 2....

Joy here...Okay, I've borrowed today's title from an entry of Nomi's from July.  When I'm not training for a 1/2 marathon, I'm an English professor, so that dorky part of me likes the self-referentiality of the intertextual allusion to an earlier post; it's a kind of postmodern meta-entry that gets my geek juices flowing.  Thanks for indulging! ;)  Now even though I want to reconnect with my inner child on my runs and just run for fun, I've been having some trouble with my knees.  My left knee gets a little bit sore and is swollen with fluids by the end of a long run, and my right knee is only a little bit better.  I've started seeing a therapist to help out, and it turns out that some of my muscles are unbalanced, which is causing my patella to be pulled off line when I run.  So for Tuesday's run, I tried using the kenesio tape that the therapist provided, with both my knees taped up for stability.  The Man and I then went out for 45 minutes of easy running to warm up and so that I could see how my knees felt.  The easy pace was around 5:50min/km and it all felt fine.  Then we had 20 minutes of tempo pace scheduled.  Last time we did tempo, we did two blocks of 10 minutes, with a rest break in between, and this time it was to be 20 minutes of solid tempo.  The aim was to run at around 4:50min/km or thereabouts, but for our 20 minutes of tempo, we kept it steady at 5:15min/km.  About 5 minutes into the tempo, I had to stop and rip the tape off my knees.  It was hurting to have my knees taped up more than it hurt to run without.  And it just felt so, well, so strange!  At the end of the tempo set, though, we did 10 minutes of cool down running, and my knees were no so happy.  I could literally see the fluid in them.  But after icing them and putting anti-inflammatory gel on them, they seem to be okay.

But I think I'll go for a bike ride today and give my knees a rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment