Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Friday, August 27, 2010

Just running for fun...

Joy here...I'm still trying to stick to my "run for fun" strategy to surmount the wall I hit in training and the nagging pain in my knees.  So even though yesterday was a Thursday, and Thursdays are usually scheduled as "quality" workouts (i.e. tempo, or hills, or speed repeats), I vowed that this Thursday would just be a fun run.  And luckily it worked out that way!  I just set my Garmin for 80 minutes and ran out the door, promising myself that I wouldn't stop until that 80 minute beeping went off, but also promising myself that I wouldn't agonize over pace or distance or anything.  Even though the weather channel said that the weather was in the mid-20s C it felt warmer in the sun.  However, there was a cool breeze.  So the first 30 minutes of the run actually felt rather odd.  Since it's still humid summer, I was sweating a fair bit and feeling over-heated, but then when the breeze would hit my sweaty self, I would feel a bit cold.  All of that temperature shifting made me feel a bit queasy or woozy for the first part of the run.  It's not  that I was nauseous or sick or anything, but I just felt weird.  And then, of course, the thoughts in my head were running overboard:  "...just quit now..." "...you can walk from here..." "...this isn't FUN..." "...maybe you should eat..." "...maybe you should pee..." "...you'll never make 80 minutes..." "...you're probably busting your knees..." "...go home and go to bed..." etc. etc.  I swear those little running demons were going a bit overboard!  So I just mentally gritted my teeth, ignored those little demons, and kept on going.  And by about the 40 minute mark, I guess those little guys knew that they had been defeated, and they just shut up. Then we did 6 strides, and I tell you that with each stride, my knees felt better and better, and all around I was having more and more fun.  By the 70 minute mark I was thinking to myself:  "Darn, only 10 more minutes of running."  And when the Garmin started beeping its final announcement that the run was up, I felt that I had achieved my goal of running for fun.

So I went home and made myself a banana, nutella, vanilla smoothie.  I deserved it, right?

Here are the fun run stats:
Ran for a total of 1:20:00 to cover 14.2kms with an average pace of 5:38min/km.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment