Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I've hit the wall...and it hit back. Hard.

Joy here...I think I'm at the point where I'm admitting defeat.  My last few runs have been really HARD, and I feel like I've certainly plateaued, or reached a wall that I just can't climb in my running progress.  I can't seem to go fast enough, and I find it really hard to just keep the pace stable and/or comfortable.  For instance, after being shattered by my last run, I spent the day in bed.  Then on Monday I went for an easy 25 minutes just to move my legs, and even that felt hard.  Today (Tuesday) I went out for my planned "quality" workout, which was a tempo workout, and it felt hard.  Basically, it seems that every time I head out the door with my running shoes on, it feels hard.  I am very discouraged.  I fully admit it.

Today we warmed up for about 30 minutes of easy running, and then we were to run two 10 minute sets of tempo (4:40min/km) separated by a 1 minute recovery.  After that, we were to do another 30 minutes of easy running to cool down.  At least that was the plan.  Here's what really happened:
-30 minutes of easy running to warm up
-two 10 minute sets of tempo that didn't come near 4:40min/km (in fact, the first set averaged 4:57min/km and the second set averaged 5:03min/km)
-20 minutes of easy cool down (that didn't even include any strides, because I felt like I was dying

So I've deduced that I've officially hit a wall with my training.  During the run today, my knees hurt; my right collar bone hurt; my lungs hurt; my right shin hurt; I had a stitch; my breathing was laboured...the list could go on and on, but I'm depressing even myself as I recount all the things that just didn't seem to feel right.

Tomorrow I'm not going to go for a run.  I'm going to try a bike ride.  Maybe on Thursday I'll try running again and see if I can dismantle that wall.

But for now, I'll just accept the fact that the wall has scored a TKO and I'm down for the count.

PS - To make matters worse, my 1/2 marathon is in exactly two months to the day.  October 17.  Right now I don't think I'll make it.

**Note:  the graphic is from http://www.michellehenry.fr/brick.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment