Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Flash Freeze Warning

Joy here...Yesterday for Valentine's Day it was positively balmy.  Okay, let me clarify that a bit.  It was around 0 C, which for Ottawa in February happens to feel positively balmy, but I recognize that objectively speaking, it's still pretty darn cold.  I mean, Nomi would probably freeze to death at 0 C, but I was outside running errands with no coat, just a cardigan and blazer, and I was good to go.  In fact, I actually got a little warm and took my blazer off in the car.  Seriously.

But it wasn't to last.  The radio and TV weather stations were all warning us that despite the warmness of romance and weather on the 14th, the night was going to get progressively colder.  So progressively cold, in fact, that before going to bed, the mercury would dip down to -28 C.  And, yes, I was still wearing my cardigan and blazer at that point.  Not such a good idea.  My teeth rattled in my head, and I shook like some recovering drug addict in rehab.  It was ugly.
So today when I was supposed to head out for my 75 minute mid-week run, I thought I was prepared for the cold.

I wasn't.

Even with my layers and my balaclava the cold wind blowing across the frozen lake was enough to freeze my nose hairs.  Add to that the pain in my blister from my long Saturday run with the wrong socks, and you'll get a sense for my general discomfort.  So I didn't make it all the way to 75 minutes, but at least I was out there.

Here are my run stats for today:
Ran for a total of 1:02:57 for a distance of 10.38km with an average pace of 6:04min/km.

Oh yeah, way back in September, Nomi wrote about the havoc that running plays with one's toes (including photos); well, I figured that now's as good a time as any to update you on my persistent toe woes.  While the bruising has definitely died down on my toe, it's still not perfect.

So with the vagaries of the weather and the wear and tear on one's footsies, running takes its toll.  But in the end, it is worth it!  At least, that's how I feel today.  Today it's all worth it!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment