Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, February 7, 2011

Sometimes life just gets in the way...

Joy here...This isn't a whine, and it's not a whinge; this isn't a complaint, and it's not a lament; it's just a statement of fact:  sometimes life just gets in the way.  No matter what your plans are - be they for working out, for socializing, for working or whatnot - sometimes other things get in the way of those plans.  And, well, that's a-okay.  I mean, well, isn't it?  Isn't it okay to change and adapt along the way when life demands changes?

You see, I had a "long run" planned for this weekend, but we were getting some custom bookshelves installed in our new house.  Trust me, seeing as how we're both professors, we have TONNES of books.  Our house is overflowing with books, and so it makes sense that we needed a few more bookshelves.  We opted for some solid wood, floor-to-ceiling shelves.  We're quite happy with them, but the installation sort of got in the way of my planned "long run" on Saturday.  And then on Sunday when I thought I'd get out there to make up for my lost Saturday run, The Man decided that he'd like to try his first run in two weeks. He's been sick (some H1N3 mutation of the H1N1 virus) for the past two weeks and hasn't been able to run or ride.  So when he said that he was feeling good enough to join me on Sunday, I wasn't about to subject him to a two-hour run.  Instead we just went for a nice and easy 25 minute run to get his lungs working again.

some of our new bookshelves
Which brings me to today, Monday.  I really figured I'd better get out there to knock off that "long run" otherwise, I'll end up hobbling through the 30km race at the end of March.  So I had to block off some time in the afternoon in my workday so that I could fit in my run.  I'll have to make up the work time this evening, but I'd rather be sitting at my computer as the sun goes down than running around the canal.

I was hoping that I could run for an hour and fifty minutes like my last long run, but in the end I was foiled.  And what foiled me?  Myself.  Yep, that's right.  By the time I made it back home, it was only about an hour and forty minutes into the run, and even though I told myself that I'd just run a bit extra to tag on about ten minutes to the end of my run, my legs decided not to listen to my brain.  My brain said "just keep going," but what did my legs do?  They ran up the front steps to my house and made it clear in no uncertain terms that my run was over.  So that was it.

Here are my truncated long run stats:
Ran for a total of 1:41:44 for a distance of 16.63kms with an average pace of 6:06min/km.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment