Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bike Loops # 1, 2, and 3...it's all about priorities!

Joy here...so we landed in Canada after an excellent six-week visit in Malaysia and we hit the ground running.  I wish I meant that literally, but, alas, it's only a figure of speech.  We have barely had time to run at all, because we've been so busy running around getting life on track.  You'd be surprised how much you need to do around the house when you haven't been there for six weeks!

hmmmm, now where should I start weeding???
And while my running has been suffering, and I've been having those dark nights of the soul where I've been doubting (seriously) whether or not I can really train enough to pull off a full marathon without injuring myself this fall, I have snuck out three times to the national park for long bike rides to at least get my muscles moving and my lungs working.

The loop through the park is about 65kms door-to-door, with much of that over some pretty serious hills.

So while I am feeling worse and worse about my ability to run, I am feeling better and better about my ability to ride my bike.

The view that makes it all worth while!
Now you might say, "Joy, if you have time to go for three different 65km bike rides, surely you have time to get your butt out to door to run.  Don't bullsh!t us about not being able to train for this full marathon, 'cause we don't buy it!"  And you would be right.  You are right.  If I really, really wanted to, I could skip the bike rides and head out there with my running shoes laced up and train for that marathon that is looming large and inviting at the end of the summer just as the leaves begin to turn from vibrant green to a million different shades of amber.

Once you get all the way up here...then the rest is an easy downhill!

I don't really have a good answer to your comment.  Honestly.  I don't.

But my answer as to why I've chosen to spend the few hours of time I've been able to squirrel away for myself on riding my bike rather than running comes down to one of the reasons I began running in the first place:  friends.

I would have never started running races had it not been for Nomi.  Without her, I'd have no motivation.  And even when we were really busy in Malaysia during this trip, those runs we were able to squeeze in together were ones that I really and truly value - running laps in our usual park in the pre-dawn, running around the golf course where the monkeys roam, running with Lulu and getting strength and courage in numbers, running up and over the hills in one of the poshest areas in town, and somehow pulling off our second half marathons exactly 12 months from our first ever running race - because I was able to run in company.

Cyclist waiting for the tortoise to cross the road.
I guess for me, sport is the vehicle through which I get to spend time with friends.

And so it has been with cycling since I've returned.

It just so happens that many of my friends here are up for Sunday morning bike rides much more than they'd be up for a run with me.  And at this point, when I'm cramped for time and trying to balance and juggle all that's on my plate, I guess I'd rather make time for friends and ride my bike, than go for a run and miss out on some valuable socializing.

Phewf, made it safely across.
So if you were to call bullsh!t on my claim that I just don't seem to have time to run, well you'd be right.  I guess it is a bit of bullsh!t.  I guess it's all about priorities.

I still want to be in shape.

I still want to be healthy.

I still want to work out.

I still want to challenge myself through sport.

But I want all of that AND I want to be able to hang out and spend some quality time with my friends.  And so if I can get that through cycling a little more than I can through running these days, then I guess I'll just have to take what I can get and hope for the best.  And if it means that I just don't reach the running fitness necessary to be able to pull off a full marathon in the fall, well, I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that I can achieve it next year.

After all, life is all about priorities, isn't it?

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment