Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Barefoot Running!

Joy here...In my last post about running, I extolled the virtues of running barefoot and alluded to my previous post about the wonders of Vibram's Five Fingers running shoes, which are more like foot gloves than shoes.  Now, I can tell you that while my marathon training goals and ambitions have almost faded into the dusk with the late setting summer sun, I have found a new running dawn in this experience of nearly nude barefoot running.

You see, I've had to come to terms with the fact that in the four weeks since I've been back in Canada, I've spent three of those travelling away from home, and travels are notoriously bad for my running routines.  I can't eat properly or at regular intervals; I can't guarantee that I'll get the runs in; and I generally have much more work to catch up on upon my return, which eats into running time.  I'm not whinging here, but rather chalking this up as a "life lesson":  If you travel too much (either for fun or for work) chances are you won't really be able to meet rigorous training goals.  Well, at least if you're me that's the case.

Instead of beating myself up over this and feeling like I'm letting Nomi and Lulu down (not to mention myself), I'm focusing my energies on my ever-improving cycling as well as on my barefoot running adventures.

The advice given for new barefoot runners is to take it slow, to run no more than about 2 or 3 kms at a time, and get used to the new shoes before doing long runs.  So you know what?  That's just what I'm doing.  I've been heading out the door for brief, 10 minute runs down the canal and back again in my new, nearly nude shoes.  And it's fun!  I'm feeling muscles in my calves and the arches of my feet that I didn't know were there; I'm reinvigorating my love of running rather than just chasing a race goal; I'm enjoying myself; and most importantly, I'm trying something new.  And isn't that what life is all about?

Over and out,
Joy

PS - Don't you worry...my marathon goals are not shelved permanently, just deferred for a while.  Nomi just told me about a marathon in Stockholm in the spring of 2012, so maybe Lulu, Nomi, and I will just have to set our sights on a nordic marathon adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment