Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Loop #10 of the Summer and #4 of this Week!

Joy here...We got "Team Sunday" (as my friend SK refers to our "sisterhood") all set and ready and out the door by 7am to do another loop of the park.  Today, we had 4 ladies and 3 guys all meeting up for the ride.  While I tried my hardest to stick on the guys' wheels up that first big climb to the Pink Lake lookout, eventually they dropped me before the peak of the climb.

The lesson from this is that while my cycling has definitely improved from my earlier days, it's still got a long way to go if I want to compete with the boys!

And even though I had a minor fall (which I blame on the loose gravel around the gate that cyclists must ride around to access the part of the road that is closed to vehicular traffic), the ride was a good one.

I got up, dusted myself off, and announced to everyone who saw me fall that there was nothing bruised except my ego.

You gotta love data!
And maybe that ego needed a bit of bruising, because I was almost beginning to feel cocky.  I mean, after my mid-week ride with a 19-time Ironman and his kind comments about my potential as a triathlete on his blog (where he wrote:  "And for the record, when Joy takes the triathlon plunge she is going to be awesome - you heard it here first so be warned ladies."), I might have been letting my ego write some pretty big cheques.  And with this ride my total kilometres ridden for this week alone is up somewhere around 260kms.  If each loop of the park is roughly 65kms door-to-door, then 4 of them is roughly 260kms.  To put that into perspective, the distance between Kuala Lumpur and Kuantan is 259kms, and the distance between London and York is 262kms.  So putting that kind of distance in my legs within a 7 day period is pretty good, and maybe as my brain was writing those kinds of ego cheques, my body falling over was the cosmos' kind way of reminding me not to write cheques that my body can't quite cash yet.  I may have the heart and stomach of a triathlete (to paraphrase Queen Elizabeth I), but I don't yet have the body of one!

But you gotta start somewhere, right?

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment