Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Bike Ride with a View!



Joy here...So in a moment of insanity last night at around 5pm, I decided that to make up for my missed tempo run on Thursday I would join my husband and his friends for his usual Sunday morning gruelling bike ride through a national park near our home. Now, I wasn't planning on riding with them the whole way or anything like that, as the park undulates a lot, and there are two really killer climbs. I just figured that I'd ride to the park with them, ride up the first climb (about 700 meters long at a pretty steep incline), turn around and go home. With that plan in mind, I emailed the wives of the cycling buddies to see if they were game. One of them already had plans, but the other one said "Sure, I'll come, and I'll pull my daughter in the chariot." Okay, so there was no backing down for me now. Her daughter is 3 years old, and pulling a 3 year old behind a road bike is no easy feat. I figured that if she was game, then I better be game, especially since I came up with the brilliant idea. At 6:50am this morning, I headed out on the bike trail with The Man to meet up with the others. When we met up with them, the friend trailing her daughter said, "Okay, Joy, we're not just riding that one climb, but we're doing a whole loop of the park, and if I can do it with this chariot, you can do it!" To put this all in perspective, I tried riding a loop of this park once in 2007. I nearly died and swore I would never do it again. My lungs hurt, my back hurt, my legs hurt, my neck hurt, and I really did think that I was going to spontaneously combust. I have avoided the park ever since. But if she was going to do it pulling her daughter, I didn't really have a leg to stand on to be the one to wimp out.

All in all, the ride was about 5 hours door-to-door, and about 3 hours in the park...and she pulled that chariot all the way up those steep climbs, and I wasn't a whole heck of a lot faster than she was. In the end, the view from way up at the top of those killer climbs was worth it. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and I think that the real view is worth a thousand pictures, so maybe, just maybe, I'll have to do that bike ride again someday....



....Just not tomorrow!

1 comment: