Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

To (Mis)Quote Freud: Sometimes a Run is Just a Run

Joy here...Okay, after my epic bike ride on Sunday, Monday was scheduled as a rest day, so I figured I would recover with ease and all would be well. I'm happy to say that I didn't really have tonnes of muscle pains like I expected. I mean, I thought I would try to walk up a flight of stairs and end up looking about 100 years old with the slow poke shuffle. But instead I seemed to feel something more akin to the kinds of "growing pains" in my calves that I haven't felt since I was a teenager. When I was 14 years old, I grew 6 inches (roughly 15 cm) from the beginning of the school year until the end! I remember at the time feeling these deep aches and pains in my lower legs almost every night when I went to bed. And on Monday after that long ride my muscles felt fine, but I did have that kind of deep ache that I haven't felt in years. It had started to wane by Tuesday, and since this week is my "easy week" I figured I was all ready for a nice run. But as the day progressed, The Man kept on postponing the run..."okay, I'll be ready in half an hour"..."well, if we run now all the commuters will be on the path, we should wait until after 9am"..."okay, we should eat something and then digest and run"..."why don't we just have some lunch and then run after lunch"..."it's waaaaaaaay too hot to run in the heat of the day"..."why don't we just run after dinner?"...And as you can probably well imagine, yesterday's run just never materialized. So on top of Monday's rest day, I had an unplanned rest day on Tuesday as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining...I mean, heck, an extra rest day...who would complain about that????

But it meant that I was a little worried about how today's run would go. We were just planning an easy run with strides, and whether I was ready or not, by 6:30am we were out the door in order to beat the heat, the commuters, and our own laziness that settles in as the day progresses. The sun was already high overhead and the sky a bright blue with these picturesque white, fluffy clouds. The day promises to be a hot one, but when we were out for our run, it wasn't too bad. We started off our run, and it took me about 20mins. to get into a good rhythm and feel like my legs and knees and ankles were warming up. Then we did 8 strides as part of our run (that's 8 almost-sprints for 100meters or roughly 15 seconds). In total, it wasn't the worst run I've ever had, but it wasn't the best one either. Maybe if I didn't take that extra rest day I would have felt better, but then again maybe worse. I guess there's no point really in wondering about that. Sometimes a run is just a run - nothing more and nothing less.

So here are today's run stats:
Total time of 1:03:04 for a distance of 10.89km for an average pace of 5:48min/km.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment