Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Monday, July 26, 2010

Morning Has Broken.....


Nomi says...

Soooooo......after a week of hibernation, i was graciously allocated some time to go for a run....
I had to haul my lazy self out of bed, grope for my motivation from under the pillow and drag it kicking and screaming with me...then i visualized Joy, thousands of miles away, 12 hours behind time shaking her head at me, going "Bad Nomi, bad girl" ( just joking Joy:) And visualized Lulu too, running like an energizer bunny on her treadmill...
It was dark at the park.The skies were overcast and it was silently still. There weren't many people around with the looming threat of rain.Then it started to drizzle lightly. The weather was cool, it was blissfully peaceful and so serene. It was a beautiful, beautiful day....perfect for running. I practically had the park to myself, silence surrounded me....the trees were shaking their green, green leaves in the slight wind and the lake was dotted with falling drops of rain. There weren't screaming kids, noisy cars, barking dogs or arguing neighbors. Just me, and the sound of my shoes striking the asphalt. I am grateful for days like this. An hour of serenity , and hour of being able to do exactly what you want is a luxury....
During my runs, i see quite a number of people strolling, walking, skating or running. Some are recreational runners, some training for a race, some walk to socialize, some walk with aids, and a few are unquestionably very ill...
So, i am thankful that i am healthy enough to run at a reasonable pace, thankful that i have family, loved ones and friends who support what i do. On that beautiful morning i just ran without counting pace or calories or time...just ran for the joy of running and the joy of being alive....

P/S : The picture above is of one of the oldest recreational parks in the country where i live and where i used to run. And where i was chased by a pig tailed macaque during one of these runs...

4 comments:

  1. Joy says: "I love, love, love this entry, Nomi. You are such a good runner and writer, and reading this makes me feel like I was right there beside you for this run. Thanks for this."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nomi says...
    Thank YOU Joy..if it weren't you, i wouldn't be running or writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Nomi...it almost makes me feel like strapping on my shoes and subjecting my poor body to the questionable rigors of exercise...almost...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful post nomi :) absolutely lovely. aren't we all lucky that we can run and we get to run? this has inspired me greatly my dear. thank you <3

    ReplyDelete