Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Run Update and A Whinge...

Joy here...Okay, so in my last post I was all rah! rah! rah! to motivate Nomi and get her out of the doldrums, and now I have a confession to make: all that cheeriness falls into the category of "do as I say not as I do." After writing that I was on the running high of finishing a solid 15km run on Saturday, and things have rapidly gone downhill for me since then. On Sunday I was supposed to do an easy 10km run, but instead I decided to stay home and watch some Tour de France. Do I have a good excuse for that? No. Of course not. It was pure laziness. At the time I told myself that I would make it up on Monday and just swap out my rest days - Sunday for Monday. Ha! Then Monday came along and all I could muster was about a 20min. run around the block and a walk with my husband. Hardly anything to write home about. So I told myself that I'd fix it all by Tuesday and be back on track. Did that happen? Of course not. Tuesday was supposed to be hill repeats, and so my husband and I got out to do the hills and I swear I was dying. I was doing some kinda crazy lamaze breathing as if I were in labour pains for the whole 20mins it takes to jog out to the hill. Then I was supposed to do 7 hill repeats (up fast and down slow 7 times). I lasted about 6 pathetic little hill repeats, trying every motivational mantra in the book in my head. None of it worked, and I really thought that I might be dying. On the run back, I didn't even last the whole way to our usual spot. All in all, that workout was just under 50mins. Ugh. So then this morning (Wednesday), we got up bright and early, and I was convinced that I could "mind over matter" things and get my workouts back on track. We were just to be doing a 10km run with strides. We were out by 6am so we were beating the heat, and there should have been no problems. But I was the problem. Yep. Me. I had a cramp in my side from before we even started running. I was tired and nauseous for the whole run, and after less than 30mins we had to turn around and walk back. I was in bad shape. I felt like I was going to puke or poop or both all over the side of the road. Really. So I came home, cancelled my planned bike ride (which would have had hills and made up for my f@#ked up other workouts this week), and went to bed. I was in bed from about 8am until 5pm today. I don't know what's up. I don't know if I'm fighting off some kind of flu bug or if I'm just damn lazy. No matter what the cause, I can sadly report that my running has suffered this week. I'll try to get back up on that proverbial horse tomorrow, but I'm not overly optimistic at this point....

No comments:

Post a Comment