Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, July 15, 2010

I'm baaaaaack...

Joy here...First and foremost: WELCOME LULU! When I was in Malaysia in May I got to run with both Nomi and Lulu, and Lulu is really an inspiration. She's a crazy nut who doesn't eat or drink before running, but just runs and runs and runs! I'm really happy that Nomi has her to run with when I'm not around. I think that they're a killer duo, and I'm jealous that they'll be doing some off-road jungle running sometime soon.

Now on to my own run update: After spending all day in bed yesterday like some kind of lazy lout, I was out this morning for the first round of tempo running. So I ran for 20 minutes easy to warm up (with two strides along the way) and then did four sets of 5 minute tempo runs. For me a tempo run was a bit faster than my 10km race pace, and I held it for 5mins. Then I would run slowly for about a minute and then do another 5min stint at "tempo." After doing the four sets of tempo, I then ran another 20 minutes or so to cool down with three final strides. And then I walked home.

So all in all, I ran for 1:04:09 for 11.42km at an average pace of 5:37min/km.

3 comments:

  1. thanks joy!! but you guys are the inspiration! i'm always in awe of how fast you can run, how long you can run and how easy you make it look! nomi keeps reminding me that i only started running in january this year, so accomplishing a 7km race and 2 10km races so far as well as going for regular runs is quite an achievement in itself!

    i too, have signed up for a half -marathon (mine's in december in singapore). i plead temporary insanity - only god knows in his infinite wisdom why i signed up for such a thing. i'm still very slow. my average pace is ~7:10. i stop often. but i have since learned to eat something at least an hour prior to running (which, if you're running at 6am, is really a challenge). it is such a pleasure to run with nomi - she is so kind to me, running at my pace, even though i know she is so much faster, and stopping when i stop, even though she doesn't need to. sometimes i feel really guilty about it :( but she is a really cool cat :)we are both really looking forward to the 14km off road run in october - it'll be muddy, hot,sweaty, miserable....remind me...why do we do this again?

    right now i am following the SmartCoach training program from runnersworld.com. if i follow it diligently, i should be able to run the half marathon at a pace of 6:50 and at a time of 2:24:28, or so The Powers-That-Be at runnersworld.com tell me. i think i need a miracle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lulu,
    The main thing to remember is that we are doing this for fun, cause it makes us feel strong and healthy and just glad to be alive....it's more fun running with than without you...and I've been running for a looooong time.. Someday soon, you'll outrun me, just you see:)
    Nomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Joy: Lulu, I have to tell you that it was definitely your enthusiasm to sign up for that 1/2 marathon in December that spurned me on to sign up for one too! I was toying with the idea beforehand, but then when you just jumped right in with both feet after only starting running in January (meaning your first 1/2 marathon will be within 12 months of first taking up running!), I thought to myself, "wow, if Lulu's got the balls to do that, then I need to get off my @$$ and do it too!" So you just keep running at your own pace; keep having fun; and I'll keep being damn inspired by you. Deal!?

    ReplyDelete