Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Taper Week and Trepidation

Joy here...Wednesday's run was our last "longish" run before the 1/2 marathon.  We're enjoying what is supposed to be our "taper week" (for more information on tapering see marathontraining.com's advice), basically the week before our race when we're supposed to cut down on speed and mileage.  Of course, seeing as how I was sick last week too, it seems as though I've been having a taper two-week period.  I hope that all goes well in Sunday with what seems like a whole lot of extra rest in my legs!

It was a clear, sunny autumn day, and even though on the weekend we had frost, by mid-week I was running in shorts.  We decided to do our usual 9-ish km route around the canal path close to our home, which is a standard run route of ours.  In fact, I still remember that day in late summer 2007 when I ran that loop all by myself and never had to stop once to walk!  I swear I ran the whole final block to our house with my arms raised in a victory salute -- I was so proud of my accomplishment.  I never never never thought I could be a runner, and there I was, completing 9kms without even stopping.  And now, that route is routine, enjoyable even.  If I went back in time and told my 2006 self that I'd be only a few short days out from running a 1/2 marathon, my 2006 self likely would have laughed her @$$ off at my 2010 self!  And if I could go back in time and tell that victory-saluting 2007 Joy that in only a few short years that loop would make up part of an easy, taper week, she simply would have stared at me with big, unbelieving eyes.

Here are my run stats for Wednesday:
Ran for a total of 50:14:14 for a total distance of 8.7km with an average pace of 5:46min/km.

I know that it would make this story so much better if I had some dramatic "before" and "after" photos, but the truth of the matter is that the change is not so much on the outside, but on the inside.  For me, my progress has not been so much about losing pounds (I don't even own a scale!), but about doing things that I didn't think I could do.  It's been about setting a goal and working systematically towards it.  And, most importantly, it's been about getting my butt out that door more often than not.

So while I feel a bit of trepidation with the race itself being right around the corner, I just have to remind myself of the truism:  It's the journey that counts.  I've been lucky enough to share my journey with Nomi and Lulu, with The Man, and my cycling buddies, with my friends who are kind enough to read the blog and email or comment with supportive words for me, and so I intend to enjoy these last few tapering days and just go out there and have a good time on Sunday.


Wish me luck!

Over and out, 
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment