Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bike Ride with a View...Part Quatre

Joy here...Today was another glorious day in the park, autumn leaves, blue skies, and sharp colours all beneath a sun-filled sky.  The air was crisp and the hues bright.  Four of us left our houses before the sun was up to meet at the bridge to cross over to the north and into the park.  As we rode the sun began to rise, ever slower up over the horizon until it was bright in the blue sky above us.  Even though there was a frost warning, and we were dressed warmly against the chill morning air, we were invigorated to be out early in the quiet morning.

We decided that we wanted to take it easy and have a casual, Sunday ride.  This meant that the men were joining my friend and I on our slower route through the park.  But since we decided to stick together - all four of us - rather than splitting into our parties of two, this meant that the guys chose the route.  Instead of taking our usual path up towards the highest lookout of the park, we went the opposite way.  I had originally assumed that one way up was just as easy/difficult as the other.  Heh heh...I was wrong.  The way that we usually go is tough enough, with some steep climbs that make my quads burn.  This way that we took today was just one, long, unending grind from the bottom up to the top.  I thought I was going to die.  I can't even tell you how many times the thought of hopping off my bike, throwing it in the ditch, and walking home in my biking gear crossed my mind.  I'm talking big, giant, hairy fit; steam coming out of the ears, arms swinging in anger, and stomping feet kind of fit.

Instead of having a giant temper tantrum that would put any two year old to shame, I just gritted my teeth and kept on going.  I clung onto the handlebars and turned my legs over and over and over while they screamed at me.  I ignored my legs screaming and ignored the three others riding up the hill ahead of me, chatting and laughing as if it was super easy.  (Did I mention that I kinda hated them at that moment?)  However, what I am proud of is that even as I struggled, and even as I tried to mind-over-matter myself, and even as I thought I was going to throw in the towel, I was still able to look around and enjoy the utterly spectacular scenery all around me.  I guess I was going slow enough that I was able to look from side to side and see just how lovely everything was.  And the plus side of riding up the opposite side than usual is that the scenery that I'm usually flying by on a descent, I was able to look around and enjoy today.

I'm also proud of the fact that I just kept on going.  I did NOT give into the temptation to turn right around, ride home and crawl back into my bed and under my down-filled comforter.  I really, really, really felt like doing just that, but I didn't.  I carried on all the way to the top, because I knew that in getting there I would get to enjoy those vistas that I've posted in previous posts (unimaginatively numbered une, deux, and trois).  And I was not disappointed.  As usual, the photos just can't do justice to the view.  The sun was just coming over the hills and the colours were lit up in places and cast in shadows in others.  The air was chill and crisp, but not uncomfortable.  And after we took some pictures and ate some snacks, we turned around and rode down and towards a quaint, little coffee shop for some chocolate and coffee, because, well, let's be frank, there's not much in this world that some coffee and chocolate can't fix, is there?
So by the end of the ride, I was feeling proud of my accomplishment, full of coffee and chocolate, and in awe of Mother Nature's display.  While one of the guy's continued on to do more loops of the park (he's kind of a maniac that way), the other three of us turned around and went on our merry way back home.  And while my legs were tired, I didn't collapse, crash, or otherwise fall over before making it home, and when I got home, showered, ate, and warmed up, I was able to feel pleased that while many people out there were still sleeping in on their Thanksgiving Sunday, I had already ridden for somewhere in the neighbourhood of five hours. And just for that, I think I deserve a glass of wine, Don't you?

Over and out,
Joy

1 comment: