Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Friday, October 8, 2010

Easy Peasy 12 km Run, or Joy the Moron!

Joy here...I've been very busy this week, and while I had originally planned on joining The Man and his friend for a leisurely bike ride to a local, quaint town with a lovely bakery and autumn views, and while I had originally planned on luring my two cycling friends out with me (the ones who I've ridden with before on some of my epic rides, including my first loop of the park, and my first solo loop), in the end I bailed on these plans.  Instead of a time-consuming bike ride, I figured I'd just do a fairly easy jog and not lose all my fitness just one week away from the 1/2 marathon.  Okay, so far so good.  So I emailed these two friends to see if they'd want to join my on a run in lieu of a bike ride.  Here's what they said:

ME:  Anyone up for an easy peasy 12 km run along the canal?


FRIEND #1:  At this point in my running life 12k isn't a little run.


ME (IN MY HEAD):  Oh, crap, I hope I haven't insulted her.  She's super cool and super fit, and now she might think I'm a stupid head trying to drag her out on some super speedy, super long run.  Sh_t!


FRIEND #2:  LOL!!!!  You just had me busting a gut...  'easy peasy.... 12K?????????????? what planet are you from?????


ME (IN MY HEAD):  Hmmmm...she has a point here.  What planet am I from?


I guess the moral of this little story is twofold for me:  First, I am lucky to have friends who aren't afraid to tell me when I'm being a moron, and second, I guess all this training must have paid off somewhat.  


So I've decided that instead of beating myself up about not being ready for the upcoming 1/2 marathon and instead of assuming that everyone else in the world is way more fit, fast, and furious than I could ever hope to be, I should just start to feel comfortable and confident that I can pull this off.  


Here are my run stats for today's lone run:
Ran for a total time of 1:03:59 for a total of 11.65km with an average pace of 5:30min/km.


Me, the Moron!
Over and out, 
Joy

1 comment:

  1. I second that girl!!!! You should be more than confident that all of your dedication and training has prepared you for this 1/2. After all, you've even surpassed that distance in some of your training runs... I still wonder what planet you're from, but I definitely don't think you're a moron!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete