Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Sunday, October 3, 2010

This Week's Running = Fail!

Joy here...So after pulling my sick self out of bed for a 3km run in the rain on Thursday, I figured I had turned a corner with both my illness and its deleterious effect on my running motivation.  Yeah, well I was wrong with such a thought.  Although I was able to pull off a relatively decent "easy" run on Friday, Saturday's "long" run was a resounding fail.  On Friday at least it wasn't raining, so I pulled on my shorts headed out into the bright blue sky with the crisp fall colours...
...and I took it nice and easy.  My run stats for Friday are:
Ran a total of 51:02:85 for a total distance of 9km flat with an average pace of 5:40min/km and average heart rate of 142 beats per minute.

So that's pretty reasonable.  I had no reason to know that Saturday's scheduled "long" run would turn out to be a big, fat failure.  First things first, we woke up on Saturday, had a nice, big breakfast to fuel us up for our long run, and then we went to the local sports store so that I could buy some winter-wear gear for Sunday's bike ride.  With the weather network hinting at frost warnings, I didn't want to take any chances.  Now it was while on the hunt for gear that things started to fall off the rails.  We had a super nice, super helpful, and super knowledgeable sales guy.  Which means, of course, that we didn't just end up buying me booties to wear over my cycling shoes (as planned), although we did get those.  It means that we also got running tights, a new hydration belt, some new shoes, and some nutrition.  It also means that we were at the store for much longer than we had originally planned on being there.  Now, follow me for a moment, we then left the store later than planned and decided that instead of going home to eat lunch immediately, we had time to go for a drive to look at houses (um, kinda because the sales guy was so good he had practically convinced us to buy his house; if you can explain this to me, I'd appreciate it, because when I try to reconstruct our rationale after the fact, I can't really pull it off).  Because what happened is that we drove
around looking at the beautiful fall colours and houses that we can't afford to buy, until it was so long past our lunch time that we were both ready to eat a small child (okay, maybe even a medium-sized child).  We had lost all good sense and drove ourselves to the closest pub and ordered greasy food with fries.  Granted that food tasted damn good going down, but did nothing for our planned run.  We were full and lethargic by the time we got back home, and even after having a post-greasy-lunch-nap, we still felt terrible.  But we dutifully headed out the door into the setting sun to pull off our "long" run for the week. And, I have to admit it:  I bailed.  Approximately 6kms into the run, my stomach was so distended with the mass of undigested unhealthy food that I looked like a pregnant lady.  And not only was this distended stomach uncomfortable (which it was), but it was also incredibly painful!  It felt like a slash of hurt right along my abdomen, and I just couldn't keep running.  So I passed the trusty Garmin on to The Man so that he could keep running, and I began to walk myself home.  Part way back home I was cold enough that I jogged just a bit, until the tummy troubles made me walk some more, but I made it home safe and sound, and felt much better when I had changed into my sweat pants and admitted that a greasy grilled sandwich + fries = failed run.  Needless to say, dinner consisted of a plate of fruit in an attempt to clear out the system.

I'm going to try to make up for that lost "long" run on Tuesday...NO FRIES FOR ME!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment