Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

G-Rated Ride

Getting ready to ride and watch.
Joy here...On Sunday as The Professor and I cleverly rode our bikes indoors while the guys spent 3 1/2 hours riding outside in the cold and blowing flurries, we watched a few segments of the Planet Earth series (what Amazon.ca describes as: "quite simply the greatest nature/wildlife series ever produced.").  As we watched a pride of lionesses hunt and take down a full grown elephant and then some frogs engaged in vigorous reproductive activities (ahem), we implored narrator David Attenborough to take it easy on us, which worked as the segue into The Professor telling me a tale of when she and her partner's six-year old son were watching a similar nature documentary that began to focus on the Spring-time mating habits of snakes, and as all the snakes emerged from their winter hibernation and began roiling and swirling all together in a mass of snaky movement that would unman the nearest ophidiophobe, the narrator describe the scene as a "snake orgy."  To which the six-year old looked up at The Professor with wide eyes and asked, "what's an orgy?"  How does one even begin to explain that in G-rated terms?  Um, well, you see, it's when you really really like a bunch of people...um, wait, but not til you're much older...um, and even then, not everyone is into it...

You can see where this line of conversation can get you, can't you?

So as I hopped on my spin bike in the basement today for 60 minutes of easy spinning, I chose an episode that focused on tiny cats from Argentina and Chile; there was no hunting; there was no animal sex, and there were no gruesome scenes of decay or scavenging.  Instead, I sat upon my bike, keeping my heart rate in the easy zone for 60 minutes (barely topping up over 100 beats/min.) and enjoyed the ultimate cuteness factor of the world's smallest wild cat!

How cute is that???
As my fractured toe from Friday, March 23 heals and I stay off running at least until the end of this week, at least I can sit my butt down on my bike in my basement and spin my legs for an hour with a nice, G-rated show to entertain me.

Does it get any better than this?  (I mean, assuming you're not into orgies...)

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment