Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hill Repeats

Joy here...So in my last post, I outlined a plan for becoming a duathlete, and this plan included a Wednesday ride in the park that would ideally include some hill repeats.  On Wednesday morning, I planned to head out there to the park with the spinning instructor, Cili Padi, and The Professor.  But then I woke up with my alarm and went to get ready, and noticed that the roads were all wet.  Thinking "hmmmmmm, this doesn't look good..." I checked the weather network to find out that they were calling for flurries.  Now, I didn't feel so great about the idea of tearing down the hill at over 60km/hr on tires an inch thick while snow fell, so I sent off an email to the crew telling them that I was chickening out and I'd ride later in the day.

The Professor opted for an indoor ride instead; Cili Padi decided to wait and ride in the afternoon with me; and the spinning instructor headed out there with her dad.  It turns out that the weather network was dead wrong, and there was no snow.  The spinning instructor had a great ride, topping 56km/hr, which is a real feat for her, since she still tends to ride her brakes on the downhill sections.

By 3:45, I met up with Cili Padi and we headed to the park for our hill repeats.  They were tough.  It takes just under 5 minutes to climb up Pink Lake, and about 1 minute into the climb, I reach around 160beats/min according to my heart rate monitor.  Then I just try to keep that consistent until the top of the climb.  It's a bit of a sufferfest.  After the first one, I wasn't sure if I had another one in me.  After the second one, I was sure that I was done like dinner.  After the third one, I was thinking..."hey that wasn't so bad."  Cili Padi, didn't even think she'd stick around for the third repeat, but it was her fastest and strongest one!  The other ones were just warm ups for her.  One thing about being her age is that she's really got the endurance...I might have a quick punch of power that is stronger than hers in the short distance, but over the long haul, I don't think I'd hold a candle to her.

So all-in-all, we had a great three-peat up that climb...and I'm one step closer to being a duathlete.

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment