Joy and Nomi took the plunge and signed up for their first 10km running race ever in May 2010 in Singapore at the Sundown Race event...Then they trained for a half marathon in the fall of 2010, Joy's in Canada and Nomi's in Malaysia...Then, they finished their second-ever half marathon in Singapore May 2011 at the Sundown Race event, but this time they ran together!

Then their sporting paths diverged: Nomi went on to run marathons while Joy learned how to ride a bike. This blog charts their progress from 2010 to 2012.

Read their blog to see what their sporting adventures look like or just look at the pictures of Canada's capital city and Malaysia's capital city. You can choose the "follow" option or subscribe via email to be notified of updates. (You can start reading/skimming their first entries from the summer of 2010 or just jump right in, reading from any point you like. The "Archives" will be your guide.)

Friday, April 20, 2012

Give'r (or I See your Calgary and I raise you a Winnipeg)

The Spinning Instructor
Joy here...I had my last spinning class of the session yesterday with my spinning instructor who has come out on a few rides with me outdoors and is fast becoming one of my cycling sisters, and while we rode up to Champlain lookout on Wednesday, I was seriously hoping that she'd take it a bit easy on us during our spin class on Thursday morning...it was not to be so.  When I got there she said that we would be having a "go hard or go home" ride, and since we were already there, the "go home" option was foreclosed.  Go hard it was!

Yes, there is actually
a movie (two, in fact)
that make this kind of
idiom famous (or at least
public!). Oh yeah, FUBAR=
fuckedupbeyondallrecognition.
Now the spinning instructor lived in Calgary for 14 years, and I spent the first 21 years of my life living in Winnipeg.  And I suspect that there's something in our shared Western Canadianness that makes us get along.  For instance, I have to say that I enjoy her taste in music during the spin class; there's nothing too funky or techno that might be really avant-garde, but just somehow too cool for me.  Instead, I can usually sing along with the songs she's chosen, because they speak to the Winnipeg in me.

I think another shared Western Canadian value is the notion of givin'er.  I've written about the phrase "give'r" before (which means:  1. Going all out and/or balls to the wall to take care of business as quickly and as awesomely as possible; and/or 2. Acting in a way that is like you're rocking out really hard, but at the same time, trying to solve a problem that may or may not involve drop-kicking something without hesitation).  So with our "go hard" final spin class of the session, I was game to give'r!  With sweat dripping off my body onto the spin bike and a heart rate topping up over 172 beats/min, I was doing my Winnipeggers proud by going "balls to the wall"...take THAT Calgary, and thanks for a great session of spin classes!

Over and out,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment